Test for Exactness, linearly dependent?

In summary, the conversation is about testing for exactness in a given differential equation and finding an integrating factor. The participants discuss the relationship between M/y and N/x and how it affects the solution. It is concluded that the integrating factor 1/sqrt(x) is correct and there was an error in the solution process. The final solution is found to be 4/3 x^1.5 + 2x^1.5y^3.
ombudsmansect
Hey guys was wondering if anyone knew what the go is with linearly dependent solutions to test for exactness, by that I mean
I have the differential equation (2x + y^2)dx + 4xydy = 0 (M,N)
So i test for exactness and

[tex]\partial[/tex]M/[tex]\partial[/tex]y = 2y [tex]\partial[/tex]N/[tex]\partial[/tex]x = 4y

So I wanted to ask if this does prove exactness, given that they are linearly dependent I cannot find an integrating factor, but I am not sure if I can just proceed to solve anyway

Physics news on Phys.org
"linearly independent" or "dependent" has nothing to do with this problem. The given equation is NOT exact because 4y and 2y are not equal. Nor does "dependent" or "independent" have anything to do with you not being able to find an integrating factor.

However, the fact that [itex]N_x- M_y[/itex] is a power of y only might suggest that you look for an integrating factor that is a power of x only: [itex]x^n[/itex].

hello again halls thanks for looking again,

I have run through the process to find an integrating factor and it gives me 1/sqrtx. This is also an intuitive guess at an integrating factor but it still yields a non exact solution, even though the formula specifically yields this answer. With integrating fact 1/sqrtx the test yields:

M/y = (2y)/sqrtx N/x=2y

there seems to be something about this relationship that says i cannot equate them. Perhaps there is another way I cannot see

1/sqrt(x) is an integrating factor test again

ombudsmansect said:
hello again halls thanks for looking again,

I have run through the process to find an integrating factor and it gives me 1/sqrtx. This is also an intuitive guess at an integrating factor but it still yields a non exact solution, even though the formula specifically yields this answer. With integrating fact 1/sqrtx the test yields:

M/y = (2y)/sqrtx N/x=2y

there seems to be something about this relationship that says i cannot equate them. Perhaps there is another way I cannot see
Then you have an error in your solution. [itex]x^{-1/2}= 1/\sqrt{x}[/itex] certainly is an intgrating factor. Multiplying your equation by that,
[tex](2x^{1/2} + x^{-1/2}y^2)dx + 4x^{1/2}ydy = 0[/tex]

[tex]M_y= 2x^{-1/2}y[/tex]
and
[tex]N_x= 4(1/2)x^{-1/2}y= 2x^{-1/2}y[/tex]

Now, that means that there exist a function, F(x,y), such that
[tex]F_x= 2x^{1/2}+ x^{-1/2}y^3[/tex]
so that
[tex]F= \frac{4}{3}x^{3/2}+ 2x^{1/2}y^3+ \phi(y)[/tex]

Can you finish it?

hey guys thanks for your help, it most certainly was an integrating factor as you say, some careless differentiation there on my part. Worked out very nicely in the end with k(y) as 0 so the answer is just 4/3 x^1.5 + 2x^1.5y^3 as you have stated there hallsofivy. thanks again guys

Related to Test for Exactness, linearly dependent?

1. What is the purpose of conducting a test for exactness?

The purpose of conducting a test for exactness is to determine if a system of equations is solvable or not. This test helps to identify whether the equations are linearly dependent, meaning that they can be simplified or reduced to fewer equations, or if they are linearly independent, meaning that each equation provides unique information and cannot be simplified.

2. How is the test for exactness performed?

The test for exactness is performed by setting up a matrix of coefficients and solving for the determinant. If the determinant is equal to zero, the system of equations is linearly dependent. If the determinant is not equal to zero, the system is linearly independent. Alternatively, the test can also be performed by using the row reduction method to determine if the equations can be reduced to a simpler form.

3. What are the implications of a system being linearly dependent?

If a system is linearly dependent, it means that there are redundant equations that can be eliminated without affecting the overall solution. This can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. However, it also means that the system is underdetermined, meaning that there are infinite solutions that can satisfy the equations.

4. Can a system be both linearly dependent and exact?

No, a system cannot be both linearly dependent and exact. If a system is exact, it means that all of the equations are necessary and cannot be simplified. In contrast, a linearly dependent system has redundant equations that can be eliminated. Therefore, a system can only be either exact or linearly dependent, but not both.

5. How does the test for exactness relate to real-world applications?

The test for exactness is commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the solvability of a system of equations. In real-world applications, it is important to know if a system is exact or not because it can impact the accuracy and reliability of the solution. It also helps to identify which equations are essential and which ones can be disregarded, making the problem more manageable.