Test Charge Explained: Why Positive & Can't Assume Negative

In summary, a test charge is always positive because the direction of the electric field is taken to be the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge.
JLABBER
Why a test charge is always positive. WHy can't we assume the test charge to be negative?
Just that if we assume it to be negative test charge, will the electric field turns to be negative?

Additional Details
reply: does it mean that if we put a negative charge as a test charge near a positive charge source, it shows that the positive charge actually exerts a field pointing inward? before, if we put a positive charge near a positive source, it means field radially outward, how if we change the test charge to a negative charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use a negative test charge, the direction of the field will be opposite to the direction of the force on that charge. With a positive test charge, the field and force are in the same direction.

But, i don't really get your meaning. suppose a positive source located at origin. A positive test charge is put at distance x from the source. Then , the force on it is towards positive x-axis and the field also. The condition reverses if we use a negative test charge? BUt , isn't the test charge is used to determine the direction of the electric field alone? I thought that if a test charge is used, it can show only the direction of flow of electric field?

JLABBER said:
But, i don't really get your meaning. suppose a positive source located at origin. A positive test charge is put at distance x from the source. Then , the force on it is towards positive x-axis and the field also.
Correct.
The condition reverses if we use a negative test charge?
What changes is the direction of the force, not the field.
BUt , isn't the test charge is used to determine the direction of the electric field alone? I thought that if a test charge is used, it can show only the direction of flow of electric field?
A test charge is used to determine the direction of the field, but it doesn't change the field. If you use a positive test charge, the force points in the direction of the field; if you use a negative test charge, the force opposes the field. The direction of the field doesn't change.

Ok, i know this statement. Then , what i confuse is then if the test charge is used to determine the direction of force, then it certainly cannot proof the direction of field. Therefore, what i want to know is what can show that electric field is from positive to negative?

JLABBER said:
Ok, i know this statement. Then , what i confuse is then if the test charge is used to determine the direction of force, then it certainly cannot proof the direction of field. Therefore, what i want to know is what can show that electric field is from positive to negative?

I think it is simply a standard to consider the direction of the field from positive to negative.

From here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefie.html
The direction of the field is taken to be the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge. The electric field is radially outward from a positive charge and radially in toward a negative point charge.

In the end it doesn't matter what we label as the direction as long as the produced effects are the same.

ok.well thanks a lot...

JLABBER said:
ok.well thanks a lot...

Anything else you are confused about?

Well, if i do, i will seek your help again.ThanKS a lot!

Related to Test Charge Explained: Why Positive & Can't Assume Negative

1. Why is it important to use a test charge when studying electric fields?

Using a test charge allows scientists to measure the strength and direction of electric fields in a controlled manner. It also helps to simplify complex calculations and understand the behavior of charges in a given electric field.

2. What is the significance of a test charge being positive?

A positive test charge allows for a more straightforward analysis of electric fields since it will experience a force in the same direction as the electric field lines. This makes it easier to visualize and understand the properties of electric fields.

3. Why can't we assume a test charge to be negative when studying electric fields?

Assuming a test charge to be negative can lead to incorrect conclusions about the direction of the electric field. Negative charges will experience a force in the opposite direction of the electric field lines, which can cause confusion and inaccurate results.

4. Can a test charge affect the electric field it is being tested in?

Yes, a test charge can alter the electric field it is being tested in. However, this effect is usually negligible and can be accounted for in calculations. To minimize this effect, the test charge should be small in comparison to the other charges in the electric field.

5. How does the distance between a test charge and a source charge affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the test charge and the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law and is a fundamental principle in understanding electric fields.