Terms canceling out in unitarily evolving state

• I
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State Terms
In summary: This is not a property of the transformation matrix itself (although it is a consequence of its linearity), but of the action on the creation operators.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
The Hong-Ou-Mandel experiment is one of many examples where the amplitudes associated with two histories cancel out, leaving us with a reduced range of possible outcomes. Obviously, the total probability of those outcomes has to be unity.

My question relates to the fact that these processes are said to be unitary (i.e. conserve total probability). But when terms cancel as in HOM, we have to "manually" normalize the rest of the terms to get back to a total probability of 1. How then do we say that the transformation matrix itself is inherently unitary?

Physics news on Phys.org
In which mathematical formula do you expect any violation of unitarity?

I was thinking of, for example equations 10, 11 and 12 here: http://agatabranczyk.com/files/Branczyk2013 - Notes on Hong-Ou-Mandel Interference.pdf

It's not that I expect violation of unitarity, but the normalization doesn't seem to happen automatically, though the text says it does. If the middle two terms of (10) hadn't canceled out, we would have to have different coefficients for the two outer terms.

Last edited:
Maybe I don't understand your question, but for a two-mode system it's pretty obvious that (3) and (4) define a unitary transformation in the corresponding Hilbert space. Perhaps the author should have been remarked that the transformation law, defining this unitary transformation reads
$$\hat{a}_i^{\dagger} \rightarrow \hat{U}_{\text{BS}} \hat{a}_i^{\dagger} \hat{U}_{\text{BS}}^{\dagger}, \quad \hat{b}_j^{\dagger} \rightarrow \hat{U}_{\text{BS}} \hat{b}_j^{\dagger} \hat{U}_{\text{BS}}^{\dagger}$$
and, by taking the adjoint of these equations
$$\hat{U}_{\text{BS}} |0 \rangle=|0 \rangle.$$
Of course, this is obvious since if there are no photons present ("vacuum") then also a beam splitter won't produce anyone.

Thank you. I think my question was actually a lot more naive and uninformed than it may have appeared to you :smile:, so you gave me credit for better understanding than I had.

What I was thinking was something like this : if we sum the squares of all the terms before and after evolution, we should get the same answer, and we should not have to normalize "by hand" to get a total probability of one. It was looking to me that this was not happening. But now I realize that my confusion arises from the convention of writing out amplitudes only for the modes where the amplitude is non-zero. But in order to get "automatic" normalization we need to write out all the modes of interest including unoccupied ones (and the list of modes of interest should be the same before and after the transformation). -- When you have a moment, please confirm whether this is correct, of do I still need to think & learn more about this?

So thanks again, your answer helped me to get some valuable clarity.

Edit : So I think the root of my confusion is in not realizing this: If you write out amplitudes "by inspection" rather than 'shut up and calculate', then be prepared to have to manually scale back to a total squared amplitude of unity "by inspection".

Edit: Sorry, wait, there's still something wrong. I'll get back.

But ##|\psi_{\text{out}} \rangle## is normalized, if ##|\psi_{\text{in}} \rangle## is, because ##\hat{U}_{\text{BS}}## is indeed unitary. Note that the action on the creation operators implies its definition on the entire Fock space, as is immediately clear from using the occupation-number basis.

Related to Terms canceling out in unitarily evolving state

1. How do terms cancel out in unitarily evolving state?

When a quantum system evolves unitarily, the terms in the state vector that represent different possible outcomes of a measurement cancel out. This is because the unitary evolution operator takes the initial state vector and distributes it evenly among all possible outcome states, resulting in the cancellation of terms.

2. What is the significance of terms canceling out in unitarily evolving state?

The cancellation of terms in a unitarily evolving state reflects the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It means that the state of a quantum system becomes more and more uncertain as it evolves, until a measurement is made and the system collapses into a specific outcome.

3. Can terms cancel out in non-unitarily evolving state?

No, terms cannot cancel out in a non-unitarily evolving state. Non-unitary evolution can result in the loss of information about the initial state, but the terms in the state vector do not cancel out. This can happen, for example, in a measurement process where the measurement itself is not reversible.

4. How does measurement affect the cancellation of terms in a unitarily evolving state?

When a measurement is made on a quantum system, the terms in the state vector that correspond to the measured outcome no longer cancel out. This is because the measurement collapses the system into a specific outcome state, and the other terms become irrelevant.

5. Is the cancellation of terms in unitarily evolving state related to the concept of decoherence?

Yes, the cancellation of terms in a unitarily evolving state is closely related to the concept of decoherence. Decoherence is the process by which a quantum system becomes entangled with its environment, resulting in the loss of coherence and the cancellation of terms in the state vector. This is what leads to the classical appearance of macroscopic objects in our everyday experience.