Terminal Velocity: Solving a Puzzling Problem

In summary: Just evaluate the definite integral to get the desired result:\int_{0}^{v} \frac {dv'}{v'-v_t} = -\int_{0}^{v} \frac {dv'}{v_t-v'} = \ln{(v_t-v)} - \ln{v_t} = \ln \frac {v_t-v}{v_t}but why even to bothing factoring out a minus sign tide? It just complicateds the integral. Its much simpler to just integrate and get ln(v-vt), no?When you do the limits you get, ln(v-vt)-
Cyrus
looking back at a problem that puzzled the heck out of me.

integrate this: dv/(v-vt) = -k/m (dt).

The book says you get: ln ( (vt-v)/Vt ) = -k/m t

the -k/mt part is fine, because you integrate from 0 to t. The ln part is tricky though. When I integrate, I get ln(v-vt), vt is just a constant. If you do the derivative of my anwser or the books they are the same. How did the book arrive at this anwser and not mine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you rewrite the problem more carefully? I don't understand how vt can be a constant if it has 'v' in it, or why a lowercase v suddenly becomes a capital V somewhere, or why v-vt suddenly becomes vt-v. Thanks.

Just evaluate the definite integral to get the desired result:

[tex]\int_{0}^{v} \frac {dv'}{v'-v_t} = -\int_{0}^{v} \frac {dv'}{v_t-v'} = \ln{(v_t-v)} - \ln{v_t} = \ln \frac {v_t-v}{v_t}[/tex]

Tide said:
Just evaluate the definite integral to get the desired result:

[tex]\int_{0}^{v} \frac {dv'}{v'-v_t} = -\int_{0}^{v} \frac {dv'}{v_t-v'} = \ln{(v_t-v)} - \ln{v_t} = \ln \frac {v_t-v}{v_t}[/tex]

but why even to bothing factoring out a minus sign tide? It just complicateds the integral. Its much simpler to just integrate and get ln(v-vt), no?

when you do the limits you get, ln(v-vt)-ln(v). so that's equal to ln ((v-vt)/v).

Oh my gosh. I completely poo-pooed that integral. I worked it out my way and got the same anwser. Boy do I feel like an idiot. it should work out to be,
ln(v-vt) from 0 to v, which is ln(v-vt)-ln(-vt) = to ln(1-v/vt). Thats just Embarrassing. :frown:

Last edited:
Cyrus,

You factor out the -1 because (a) v < vt and (b) you avoid the nastiness of dealing with logarithms of negative numbers.

Related to Terminal Velocity: Solving a Puzzling Problem

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object reaches when falling through a medium, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity on the object is equal to the drag force of the medium.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the following formula: v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the medium, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the object, the density of the medium, and the gravitational force. The shape and surface area of the object can also play a role in determining the drag coefficient and therefore the terminal velocity.

4. How can terminal velocity be measured?

Terminal velocity can be measured by dropping an object from a height and using a stopwatch to time how long it takes to reach the ground. The distance the object falls can then be used to calculate the velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding terminal velocity?

Understanding terminal velocity is important in fields such as aviation and engineering, as it helps in the design of structures and vehicles that need to move through air or water. It is also relevant in sports like skydiving and bungee jumping, where knowledge of terminal velocity can ensure safety and optimal performance.