Terminal Velocity of Objects Falling into the Sun

In summary, the conversation discussed the speed at which an object falls into the sun and whether it reaches the speed of light. It was concluded that the object would impact at approximately 600 km/s, which is not even close to the speed of light. The conversation also touched on the calculation of the gravitational acceleration on the surface of the sun, which is about 300 m/s^2. It was clarified that this is not a speed and cannot be compared to the speed of light. The conversation also mentioned the escape velocity and the assumption that the object falls from infinity. However, it was noted that the formula used is for acceleration and not velocity.
God Plays Dice
Does an object falling into the sun reach approximately the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not even close. It would impact at about 600 km/s.

Not even close.

[ EDIT You're fast! ]

Vanadium 50 said:
Not even close. It would impact at about 600 km/s.

Don't you have to know from how far it's falling to provide a value?

Likes Stephanus
DaveC426913 said:
No, assume infinity and look up the escape velocity.

What about this calc

A= GM/r^2

A= 10^-11 10^30 / 10^12
= 10^7

That's pretty fast, does this not apply?

Acceleration is not velocity. And your calculation has wrong numbers in it.

God Plays Dice said:
What about this calc

A= GM/r^2

A= 10^-11 10^30 / 10^12
= 10^7

That's pretty fast, does this not apply?
You are trying to calculate the gravitational acceleration on the "surface" of the Sun.
If you do it correctly you will get about 300 m/s^2.

But this is not a speed anyway. You cannot compare this with the speed of light (or any speed).

nasu said:
You are trying to calculate the gravitational acceleration on the "surface" of the Sun.
If you do it correctly you will get about 300 m/s^2.

But this is not a speed anyway. You cannot compare this with the speed of light (or any speed).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
I think it's the escape velocity. If you put it infinitely. I'm no physicist, just using logic.
Vanadium is right

DaveC426913 said:
I think if you drop it infinitely, it's the escape velocity.

Stephanus said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
I think it's the escape velocity. If you put it infinitely. I'm no physicist, just using logic.
Vanadium is right
No, that formula is an acceleration and not a velocity.
I did not say anything about Vanadium's post.

Stephanus said:
I think if you drop it infinitely, it's the escape velocity.
Yes, I was about to follow up with the assumption that it falls from infinity.
Even if it doesn't, that still acts as the upper limit of final velocity.

Related to Terminal Velocity of Objects Falling into the Sun

1. What happens if an object falls into the sun?

When an object falls into the sun, it will be pulled in by the sun's strong gravitational force and eventually be consumed by the intense heat and pressure in the sun's core. It will also be vaporized by the sun's high temperatures.

2. How long would it take for an object to fall into the sun?

The amount of time it would take for an object to fall into the sun depends on its starting distance from the sun and its velocity. For example, if an object was dropped from a distance of 1 AU (the distance from the Earth to the sun) and had no initial velocity, it would take approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the sun.

3. Can any material survive falling into the sun?

No, any material that falls into the sun will be destroyed due to the extreme temperatures and pressure. Even the strongest materials on Earth would not be able to withstand the conditions in the sun's core.

4. Has any object ever fallen into the sun?

To our knowledge, no object has ever naturally fallen into the sun. However, spacecrafts have been intentionally crashed into the sun for scientific purposes. For example, NASA's Ulysses spacecraft was deliberately sent into the sun in 2009 after completing its mission.

5. What would happen to the Earth if an object fell into the sun?

If a large enough object were to fall into the sun, it could potentially disrupt the delicate balance that allows Earth to sustain life. However, the chances of this happening are extremely rare. The sun's strong gravitational force also helps to protect the planets in our solar system from any objects falling into the sun.