Terminal Velocity of 100kg Parachutist Falling from 3000m

In summary, a parachutist with a mass of 100kg falls from rest to an altitude of 3000m. The force due to air resistance is proportional to the velocity, with different constants when the chute is closed and opened. The terminal velocity, where the drag and gravity forces are equal, is calculated to be 9.81 m/s. This confirms the understanding that terminal velocity occurs when the falling body experiences zero acceleration.
bobey

Homework Statement

A parachutist whose mass is 100kg drops from rest to an altitude of 3000m and falls under of gravity. Assume that the force due to to air resistance is proportional to the velocity of the parachutist , with the proportionality constant k1 = 20kg/s when the chute is closed and k2=100 kg/s when the chute is opened. The chute does not open until after 30s of free fall (9.81 m/s^2)

what is the terminal velocity after the chute opens?

Homework Equations

i found the definition of terminal velocity : The terminal velocity of a falling body occurs during free fall when a falling body experiences zero acceleration...

thus my understanding is this terminal velocity is when f=mg (falling depends on gravity only)

The Attempt at a Solution

==> k2v=mg
v=mg/k2
= 100(9.81)/100 = 9.81 m/s

i think this is wrong... but i don't know where to start... i think my concept on terminal velocity is wrong... can anybody help me... please3

Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding is correct. The terminal velocity is the velocity at which the sum of the drag and gravity force equals zero.

Filip Larsen said:
Your understanding is correct. The terminal velocity is the velocity at which the sum of the drag and gravity force equals zero.

ok! then, is my understand is reflected by the correct calculations? help me to clarify this thing...

Yes, your calculation is also correct.

Filip Larsen said:
Yes, your calculation is also correct.

thanx 4 d clarification... rely appreciated it...:smile:

Related to Terminal Velocity of 100kg Parachutist Falling from 3000m

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air, due to the balance between the object's weight and the drag force of the fluid.

2. How is terminal velocity affected by weight?

The heavier an object is, the higher its terminal velocity will be. This means that a 100kg parachutist will reach a higher terminal velocity than a lighter parachutist.

3. How does altitude affect terminal velocity?

At higher altitudes, the air is less dense, meaning there is less drag force acting on the falling object. This results in a higher terminal velocity at higher altitudes.

4. Can an object accelerate after reaching terminal velocity?

No, once an object reaches its terminal velocity, it will continue to fall at a constant speed and will not accelerate further.

5. What factors can affect the terminal velocity of a parachutist?

The terminal velocity of a parachutist can be affected by various factors such as weight, air density, air resistance, and the surface area of the object. For example, a larger surface area will result in a lower terminal velocity due to higher air resistance.