Terminal Velocity Calculation: Understanding Forces at Play

In summary: We're here to help you get unstuck, not to do the heavy lifting for you.In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a physics question and seeking guidance on how to solve it. The key concept is recognizing that at terminal velocity, there can be no acceleration. The discussion also mentions using a tilted coordinate system and modeling air resistance. The conversation ends with a disagreement between the student and a volunteer who suggests seeking help from a teacher.
jc911
Hi All,

I am struggling with the question (attached) and was hoping to get some guidance and explanation on how to solve it.

I`m thinking that it is force down is equal to force up? But I could be wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

James

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 61
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would definitely use a tilted coordinate system. Terminal velocity will occur when the forces down the slope are equal and opposite to the forces up the slope. What is your model for air resistance?

Ackbach said:
I would definitely use a tilted coordinate system. Terminal velocity will occur when the forces down the slope are equal and opposite to the forces up the slope. What is your model for air resistance?

So would I be using Force = mass x velocity
Therefore F down = F up
Therefore mv = mv
??

I have no model for air resistance.

You are told that "the frontal area is 0.45 m^2 and the drag coefficient is 1.1". If that doesn't mean anything to you- in particular if you don't know what "drag coefficient" means- then you need to discuss this with your teacher.

jc91 said:
So would I be using Force = mass x velocity
Therefore F down = F up
Therefore mv = mv
??

I have no model for air resistance.

Force definitely does not equal mass times velocity. You have $F=ma,$ and this holds up and down the slope, as well as normal to the slope (that is, in each direction of the tilted coordinate system). I would recommend you use the following attached Problem-Solving Strategy for this problem.

View attachment 8687

From a physics perspective, the key here is to recognize that at terminal velocity, which is constant, there can be no acceleration. That is, the acceleration must be zero.

As far as air resistance, you can model it as proportional to the speed, or proportional to the square of the speed. Look it up in your book to see which one your book is assuming.

Attachments

• Mechanics Problem-Solving Strategy.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 50
Ackbach said:
Force definitely does not equal mass times velocity. You have $F=ma,$ and this holds up and down the slope, as well as normal to the slope (that is, in each direction of the tilted coordinate system). I would recommend you use the following attached Problem-Solving Strategy for this problem.
From a physics perspective, the key here is to recognize that at terminal velocity, which is constant, there can be no acceleration. That is, the acceleration must be zero.

As far as air resistance, you can model it as proportional to the speed, or proportional to the square of the speed. Look it up in your book to see which one your book is assuming.

Thanks you very much for the assistance :)

- - - Updated - - -

Country Boy said:
You are told that "the frontal area is 0.45 m^2 and the drag coefficient is 1.1". If that doesn't mean anything to you- in particular if you don't know what "drag coefficient" means- then you need to discuss this with your teacher.

I`m sorry, I didn`t realize that this was a judgement forum?

I`m after returning to education after 8 years as a construction worker and am now currently studying to be a mechanical engineer on night courses. My ability in fluid dynamics is limited to date and that is why I posted here for help and guidance, not just the answer.

If you`ve nothing useful to add to this forum then just ignore it, thanks :D

jc91 said:
I`m sorry, I didn`t realize that this was a judgement forum?

I`m after returning to education after 8 years as a construction worker and am now currently studying to be a mechanical engineer on night courses. My ability in fluid dynamics is limited to date and that is why I posted here for help and guidance, not just the answer.

If you`ve nothing useful to add to this forum then just ignore it, thanks :D

This is a volunteer forum. Country Boy is a volunteer, like all the helpers on this forum. There is no obligation to help anyone. Therefore, it is appropriate to keep your tone polite. These comments are borderline. Country Boy's comments are not out of line: he's just saying you need to make sure you understand the concepts required to solve the problem, and if you need to go to your teacher, then go to your teacher. Math Help Boards is not a substitute for your teacher. We're here to help you get unstuck, not to do the heavy lifting for you.

Ackbach said:
This is a volunteer forum. Country Boy is a volunteer, like all the helpers on this forum. There is no obligation to help anyone. Therefore, it is appropriate to keep your tone polite. These comments are borderline. Country Boy's comments are not out of line: he's just saying you need to make sure you understand the concepts required to solve the problem, and if you need to go to your teacher, then go to your teacher. Math Help Boards is not a substitute for your teacher. We're here to help you get unstuck, not to do the heavy lifting for you.

Ok, thank you :)

Where was there any "judgement" involved? If you have trouble understanding something in a class then you should let your teacher know that so that he/she can clarify.

Related to Terminal Velocity Calculation: Understanding Forces at Play

What is Terminal Velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object downwards is balanced by the resistance of the fluid pushing against it.

How is Terminal Velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient. This equation takes into account the various factors that affect an object's terminal velocity.

What factors affect Terminal Velocity?

The factors that affect an object's terminal velocity include its mass, the acceleration due to gravity, the density of the fluid it is falling through, its cross-sectional area, and the drag coefficient. These factors determine the balance between the force of gravity and the resistance of the fluid, ultimately determining the terminal velocity of the object.

Is Terminal Velocity the same for all objects?

No, terminal velocity can vary for different objects depending on their size, shape, and mass. Objects with a larger surface area or a lower drag coefficient will experience a lower terminal velocity because they experience more resistance from the fluid. On the other hand, objects with a smaller surface area or a higher drag coefficient will reach a higher terminal velocity.

Can Terminal Velocity be exceeded?

In most cases, terminal velocity cannot be exceeded by an object falling through a fluid. However, in certain situations, such as when an object changes shape or the fluid density changes, the terminal velocity can be temporarily exceeded. This is known as a "supercritical" or "transitional" state, but the object will eventually return to its terminal velocity once the conditions change back to their original state.