Terahertz scanner: does it work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of terahertz radiation and its potential effects on the human body. The original poster asks for information and clarification on whether it actually works and how it can be used in a laboratory setting. Another user provides a Wikipedia link and suggests doing more research beyond the wiki article. The conversation is then closed due to the original poster attempting to advertise a website.
sunbeam667
Hello everyone!

Maybe someone good at this topic or met this problem before, because I was really confused reading about this
<< Link deleted by Mentors as Spam >>
Can someone tell me: does it actually work? And how terahertz radiation can influence on the human body, considering that THz waves passing through variety of things, such as plastics, ceramics, composites etc.? Thanks in advance!

I'd like to assemble such one in my institute's laboratory, so it's an interesting issue for me, will it work effectively?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Good links by 256bits. Since this poster came here to advertise a website, this thread is now closed.

Related to Terahertz scanner: does it work?

1. How does a terahertz scanner work?

A terahertz scanner works by emitting terahertz radiation, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation with frequencies between microwave and infrared, onto an object. The scanner then detects the reflected terahertz waves and uses them to create an image of the object's internal structures.

2. Is a terahertz scanner safe for human use?

Yes, terahertz scanners are generally considered safe for human use. Unlike X-rays, which have higher frequencies and can potentially damage DNA, terahertz radiation has lower energy and does not pose a significant health risk.

3. What are the applications of terahertz scanners?

Terahertz scanners have a variety of applications in fields such as medicine, security, and materials science. They can be used to detect hidden weapons or explosives, identify counterfeit materials, and even diagnose medical conditions such as skin cancer.

4. Are there any limitations to terahertz scanners?

One limitation of terahertz scanners is their inability to penetrate certain materials, such as metals and water. This can make it difficult to image objects with these materials or to detect objects hidden behind them. Additionally, terahertz scanners may have lower resolution compared to other imaging techniques.

5. How accurate are the images produced by terahertz scanners?

The accuracy of terahertz scanner images can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the scanner and the material being scanned. In general, terahertz scanners have good resolution and can produce detailed images, but they may not be as precise as other imaging techniques such as MRI or CT scans.