Tensors and differential geometry

In summary, the conversation is about learning general relativity (GR) and getting stuck with tensor notations. The person is asking for help in identifying tensorial objects and recommendations for introductory books on tensors and differential geometry. Two recommended resources are Eric Poisson's notes and Sergei Winitzki's notes, but the person's favorite text is Crampin and Pirani's "Applicable Differential Geometry" due to its logical presentation and thorough explanations.
Qazsxwced
Hi, I've decided to learn GR myself recently since it's like the "sexy" side of physics. But I'm getting stuck with the tensors notations already. Maybe my math background is just not sufficient enough to do GR.

In general, how do I know that an object is tensorial; for example, objects like Ta|b-Tb|a or Ta||b - Tb||a (| for partial derivatives, || for covariant derivatives and Ta or Tb are just the covariant vector components.) Thanks.

Also, can anyone recommend some good intro books on tensors and differential geometry? Maybe I should learn those concepts before going into GR...

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric Poisson's notes:
http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/~poisson/research/agr.pdf

Sergei Winitzki's notes:
http://homepages.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~winitzki/T7/GR_course.html

My favourite text is Crampin and Pirani's "Applicable Differential Geometry". Their presentation is absolutely logical, and the don't skip any steps, which means it's a slow read. But when learning on my own I usually get stuck when someone has missed a step or done a quick and dirty proof, so I appreciate their approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Tensors and differential geometry are indeed fundamental concepts in general relativity, and it's great that you are interested in learning them. It is common for people to struggle with the notation and concepts of tensors, especially if their math background is not strong enough. However, with practice and patience, you will be able to grasp these concepts.

To answer your question, an object is considered tensorial if it transforms according to certain rules under coordinate transformations. In other words, if the components of the object change in a specific way when the coordinates are changed, then it is a tensor. For example, the components of a covariant vector (Ta) will transform differently from the components of a contravariant vector (Tb) under a coordinate transformation. This transformation property is what makes an object tensorial.

As for recommendations for introductory books on tensors and differential geometry, some good options are "A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms" by David Bachman and "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds" by Richard L. Bishop and Samuel I. Goldberg. It is always helpful to have a good understanding of these concepts before delving into general relativity, but it is not necessary. You can also learn these concepts alongside GR, as long as you are willing to put in the effort to understand the notation and concepts.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your learning journey. Keep practicing and don't give up, and you will eventually be able to master tensors and differential geometry. Good luck!

Related to Tensors and differential geometry

1. What are tensors and how are they used in differential geometry?

Tensors are mathematical objects that represent linear relationships between different sets of data. In differential geometry, they are used to describe the curvature and other geometric properties of a space. They help us understand the behavior of objects and fields in curved spaces, such as in general relativity.

2. What is the difference between a tensor and a vector?

A vector is a specific type of tensor with a magnitude and direction, typically represented by an arrow. Tensors, on the other hand, can have multiple components and can represent more complex relationships between different sets of data. Vectors can be thought of as a special case of tensors.

3. How are tensors and differential geometry used in physics?

Tensors and differential geometry are used extensively in physics, particularly in theories such as general relativity and electromagnetism. They help us understand the behavior of physical objects and fields in curved spacetime and can describe the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensors and differential geometry?

Tensors and differential geometry have many practical applications, including computer graphics, image processing, and machine learning. They are also used in engineering fields such as robotics and structural analysis, as well as in physics and mathematics research.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand tensors and differential geometry?

While a strong mathematical background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basics of tensors and differential geometry. With a solid foundation in linear algebra and calculus, one can learn the fundamentals of these concepts and their applications in various fields.