Tensor Products - Understanding Cooperstein, Theorem 10.2

In summary, Theorem 10.2 in Bruce N. Cooperstein's book "Advanced Linear Algebra (Second Edition)" states that given a vector space ##X## and a subset ##X'##, there exists a unique smallest subspace ##Z'## containing ##X'## and a unique largest subspace ##Z## contained in ##X## such that each element in ##Z'## can be represented as a finite sum of maps from ##X'## and each element in ##Z## can be represented as a finite sum of maps from ##X##. The elements of ##Z'## can be viewed as elements of ##X'## with additional scalar multiplication and addition operations, while the elements of ##Z## are all
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce N. Coopersteins book: Advanced Linear Algebra (Second Edition) ... ...

I am focused on Section 10.1 Introduction to Tensor Products ... ...

I need help in order to get a basic understanding of Theorem 10.2 regarding the basis of a tensor product ... ...

My apologies if my previous questions on this matter are similar to earlier questions ... but I have been puzzling over this theorem for some time ... and still do not have a full understanding of it ...Theorem 10.2 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=3b605d68ccb4eb9146a56b127e92c848.png

My questions are as follows:

1. What is the nature/form of the elements of ##X'## and ##X## and how are they related to each other ...

2. What are the nature/form of the elements of ##Z## and ##Z'## and how are they related to each other ... and further, what is the form of the non-basis elements of ##Z## and ##Z'## ... ...

Apologies ... ... I know I have not formulated the question very precisely ... ...
frown.png
... ... but nonetheless I hope someone is able to help ...

Peter============================================================

*** EDIT ***

I have been reflecting on my own questions above ... here are my thoughts ...

Elements of ##X'## would be of the form

##x = (v_1, v_2, \ ... \ ... \ , v_m)## with ##v_i \in \mathcal{B}_i##Elements of ##X = V_1 \times V_2 \times \ ... \ ... \ \times V_m## would be of the form

##x = (v_1, v_2, \ ... \ ... \ , v_m)## with ##v_i \in V_i##and ... ...

... since I imagine ##\mathcal{B}_i \subseteq V_i ## ... then we have ##X' \subseteq X## ... ... (Now ... can we say any more about the form of the elements of X' and X?

Is the above all we can say? )

Now, before outlining the form of the elements of ##Z'## ... we just note that we are asked to identify each element ##x = (v_1, v_2, \ ... \ ... \ , v_m) \in X' ## with ##\chi_x \in Z'## ... ...Now, ##Z'## is a vector space over the field ##\mathbb{F}##, so there will be an operation of addition of elements of ##Z'## and a scalar multiplication ... ...

So ... if ##x_1 = (v_{11}, v_{21}, \ ... \ ... \ , v_{m1}) \in X'## and if ##c_1 \in \mathbb{F}## ... ...

... then ##c_1 \chi_{x_1} \in Z'##Similarly ##c_2 \chi_{x_2} \in Z'## and so on ...

So, by operations of addition we can form elements of the form

##c_1 \chi_{x_1} + c_2 \chi_{x_2} + \ ... \ ... \ + c_n \chi_{x_n}## ... ... ... ... ... (1)

... and (1) above is the general form of elements in ##Z'## ... ...
If we then identify ##c_i \chi_{x_i}## with ##x_i## we can view the elements of ##Z'## as ##c_1 (v_{11}, v_{21}, \ ... \ ... \ , v_{m1}) + c_2 (v_{12}, v_{22}, \ ... \ ... \ , v_{m2}) + \ ... \ ... \

+ c_n (v_{1n}, v_{2n}, \ ... \ ... \ , v_{mn})##
BUT ... THEN ... what form do the elements of ##Z## have ... especially those that are in ##Z##] but not in ##Z'## ... ... ?Can someone please critique my analysis ... and comment on the elements of ##Z## ... especially those not in ##Z'##... ...
========================================================
========================================================NOTE:

The early pages of Cooperstein's Section 10.1 give the notation and approach to understanding tensor products and hence to understanding the notation and concepts used in Theorem 10.2 ... ... hence I am providing the first few pages of Section 10.1 as follows:

Attachments

• Cooperstein - 3 - Theorem 10.2     ....        ....png
    Cooperstein - 3 - Theorem 10.2 .... ....png
    57.5 KB · Views: 661
  • Cooperstein - 1 - Section 10.1 - PART 1     ....png
    Cooperstein - 1 - Section 10.1 - PART 1 ....png
    70.8 KB · Views: 590
  • Cooperstein - 2 - Section 10.1 - PART 2     ....png
    Cooperstein - 2 - Section 10.1 - PART 2 ....png
    38.4 KB · Views: 566
  • Cooperstein - 3 - Section 10.1 - PART 3     ....png
    Cooperstein - 3 - Section 10.1 - PART 3 ....png
    35.3 KB · Views: 575
  • Cooperstein - 4 - Section 10.1 - PART 4     ....png
    Cooperstein - 4 - Section 10.1 - PART 4 ....png
    33.1 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
Good morning Peter. Your analysis looks good, with the minor exception that where you write:
Math Amateur said:
If we then identify ##c_i \chi_{x_i}## with ##x_i## we can ...
I think you meant
If we then identify ##\chi_{x_i}## with ##x_i## we can ...
Also, this
##c_1 \chi_{x_1} + c_2 \chi_{x_2} + \ ... \ ... \ + c_n \chi_{x_n}##......(1)
seems to imply that infinite sums are permissible and they are not (in this context).

You have asked what the elements of ##Z## are. But the attached text does not give a definition of ##Z##. All we know is that it is a superset of ##Z'##.
Nevertheless, I would guess, since ##Z## appears to be larger than ##Z'##, that it is the set of all finite sums of maps ##\chi_v## where ##v\in V##.
That is:

$$Z\equiv\{\sum_{k=1}^ma_k\chi_{u_k}\ :\ \forall k\ a_k\in\mathbb{F}\wedge u_k\in X\}$$

then we can see how ##Z'## is a subspace of this, because its definition is exactly the same, except that we replace ##X## by the subset ##X'##.

Likes Math Amateur

Related to Tensor Products - Understanding Cooperstein, Theorem 10.2

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and is commonly used in linear algebra and functional analysis.

2. How is the tensor product defined?

The tensor product is defined as the space of all possible linear combinations of the products of elements from the two vector spaces. In other words, it is the space generated by the outer products of basis vectors from the two vector spaces.

3. What is the significance of Cooperstein's Theorem 10.2?

Cooperstein's Theorem 10.2 states that the tensor product of two modules over a ring is isomorphic to the tensor product of the corresponding rings. This theorem is important in understanding the properties and applications of tensor products in mathematics and physics.

4. Can the tensor product be extended to more than two vector spaces?

Yes, the tensor product can be extended to any finite number of vector spaces. The resulting tensor space will have dimensions equal to the product of the dimensions of the individual vector spaces.

5. How is the tensor product related to other mathematical concepts?

The tensor product is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as direct sums, direct products, and dual spaces. It is also used in various areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, representation theory, and quantum mechanics.