Tensor Products - D&F - Extension of the scalars

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of extending scalars from a ring R to a ring S, specifically in the context of constructing products of the form sn for s ∈ S and n ∈ N. The discussion starts with examining the basic module axioms and defining an abelian group on the set S x N. The concept of a free \mathbb{Z}-module, which is a free abelian group, is introduced and used to define formal sums. The abelian group F(S x N) is then considered as a \mathbb{Z}-module, allowing for the extension of scalars from R to S. The post asks for clarification on the construction of the free \mathbb{Z}-module and how the
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am attempting to understand Dummit and Foote exposition on 'extending the scalars' in Section 10.4 Tensor Products of scalars - see attachment - particularly page 360)

[I apologise in advance to MHB members if my analysis and questions are not clear - I am struggling with tensor products! - anyway, I hope readers can divine what I am on about :) ]

On page 360, D&F write the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the R-module N were already a an S-module then there is no difficulty in "extending" the scalars from R to S, so we begin the construction by returning to the basic module axioms in order to examine whether we can define "products" of the form sn, for \(\displaystyle s \in S \) and \(\displaystyle n \in N \). These axioms start with an abelian group N together with a map from S x N to N, where the image of the pair (s,n) is denoted sn. It is therefore natural to consider the free \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \)-module (i.e. the free abelian group) on the set S x N i.e. the collection of all finite commuting sums of elements of the form \(\displaystyle (s_i, n_i) \) where \(\displaystyle s \in S \) and \(\displaystyle n \in N \). ... ... etc etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like someone to confirm (or correct) my statements and reasoning in the following ...

An abelian group on the set S x N would be an additive group, with an operation + defined componentwise, visually:

\(\displaystyle (s_1, n_1)+ (s_2, n_2) = (s_1 + s_2, n_1 + n_2) \) ... ... (1)

which seems OK since S is a ring and N is a module and so the two compnent + operations on the right of (1) above are OK. The operations + are associative, identity is (0,0), inverse of (s, n) is (-s, -n). Is that correct?

Now D&F write (see attachment or above)

"t is therefore natural to consider the free \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \)-module (i.e. the free abelian group) on the set S x N ... ..."

Now I am uncertain about how to form the free \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \)-module on the set S x N ... but anyway, I followed D&F's example on page 339 ... ... (see attachment)

Following D&F's example (where \(\displaystyle R = \mathbb{Z} \) ? ... in our case \(\displaystyle R \ne \mathbb{Z} \) , but continuing anyway ...) ... ...

Make the abelian group into a \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \)-module on the set S x N as follows:

For \(\displaystyle m \in \mathbb{Z} \) and (s,n) in S x N we define:

m(s,n) = (s,n) + ... ... + (s,n) (m times if \(\displaystyle m \gt 0 \))

and

m(s,n) =0 if m = 0

and

m(s,n) = - (s,n) - ... ... - (s,n) (m times if \(\displaystyle m \lt 0 \))

(and I take it that -(s,n) = (-s, -n) ...

But then, how do we (following what D&F say above) end up with elements of the free module being finite commuting sums of elements of the form \(\displaystyle (s_i, n_i) \) (i.e. elements of the form \(\displaystyle \sum_i (s_i, n_i) \) where the sum is finite?)

Do we actually "forbid" operations of addition of elements such as \(\displaystyle (s_1, n_1)+ (s_2, n_2) = (s_1 + s_2, n_1 + n_2) \)? Can someone please clarify this matter?

Further, how does the map from S x N to N with the images sn come into the above construction ...

I would appreciate some help.

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No.

You start with the set $S\times N$. But you do not define $(s_1,n_1) + (s_2,n_2) = (s_1+s_2,n_1+n_2)$. If you are doing that, you are doing it incorrectly. So how do you define addition? You basically just defined formal sums. In other words, you just keep $(s_1,n_1) + (s_2,n_2)$ without adding anything together. There is no component addition. It is just formal addition.

You start with $S\times N$ and then form $F(S\times N)$ this is the free abelian group generated by the set $S\times N$. So it consists of all formal sums.

Any abelian group can be regarded as a $\mathbb{Z}$-module by defining $ng = g+g+...+g$ and with negatives if $n$ is a negative integer. Now since $F(S\times N)$ is an abelian group it can now be regarded as a $\mathbb{Z}$-module in the sense just explained above.

ThePerfectHacker said:
No.

You start with the set $S\times N$. But you do not define $(s_1,n_1) + (s_2,n_2) = (s_1+s_2,n_1+n_2)$. If you are doing that, you are doing it incorrectly. So how do you define addition? You basically just defined formal sums. In other words, you just keep $(s_1,n_1) + (s_2,n_2)$ without adding anything together. There is no component addition. It is just formal addition.

You start with $S\times N$ and then form $F(S\times N)$ this is the free abelian group generated by the set $S\times N$. So it consists of all formal sums.

Any abelian group can be regarded as a $\mathbb{Z}$-module by defining $ng = g+g+...+g$ and with negatives if $n$ is a negative integer. Now since $F(S\times N)$ is an abelian group it can now be regarded as a $\mathbb{Z}$-module in the sense just explained above.

Thanks, your post is most helpful!

Peter

Related to Tensor Products - D&F - Extension of the scalars

What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to form a new vector space. It is represented by the symbol ⊗ and is used to define the product of vectors in a multi-dimensional space.

How is a tensor product related to scalars?

In the context of "Tensor Products - D&F - Extension of the scalars", a tensor product is used to extend the scalars in a vector space. This means that the new vector space will have a larger set of scalars that can be used to define its elements.

What is the purpose of extending the scalars in a vector space?

Extending the scalars in a vector space allows for a more general and flexible mathematical framework. It allows for the definition of new vector spaces that cannot be formed using the original set of scalars, and it also provides a way to study the properties of vector spaces in a more abstract manner.

Are there any practical applications of tensor products?

Yes, tensor products have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to define and study multi-dimensional systems, such as quantum mechanics and signal processing, and are also used in data compression and machine learning algorithms.

What are the properties of tensor products?

The tensor product is a bilinear operation, meaning that it is linear in each of its two arguments. It is also associative, distributive, and commutative in certain cases. Additionally, it has the property of being a universal object, which means that it can be used to construct other mathematical objects.