Tensor gradient and scalar product

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an equation involving normal vectors, a stress tensor, and a vector. The first term is not a problem, but the second one is causing confusion. The person is seeking help and suggestions for simplification or explanation. A resource on Wikipedia is provided for useful formulas.
zyroph
Hi all,

I need to evaluate the following equation :

[tex] \mathbf{n} \cdot [\mathbf{\sigma} + \mathbf{a} \nabla\mathbf{\sigma}]\cdot\mathbf{n} [/tex]

where [tex] \mathbf{n}[/tex] is the normal vector, [tex] \mathbf{a}[/tex] a vector, and [tex] \sigma [/tex] the stress tensor such that :

[tex] \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{n} = -p\cdot\mathbf{n} + \mu [\nabla \mathbf{u} + (\nabla\mathbf{u})^T]\cdot \mathbf{n} [/tex]

Actually, the first term (in the first equation) is not an issue , since it can be found in any serious book :smile: But I'm getting lost with the second one.

I work much more in numerics than in maths, and my knowledge on the topic is very limited :redface: so I will be very grateful for any help, i.e.

[tex] \mathbf{n} \cdot \mathbf{a} \nabla\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot\mathbf{n} [/tex]

Any clue, simplification, explanation would be welcome .

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean "in coordinates" by "evaluate", then you should gather the definitions of all your vectors and the operations and calculate. If it means algebraically changing the expression, then you will find useful formulas on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

Related to Tensor gradient and scalar product

What is a tensor gradient?

A tensor gradient is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a tensor field in a particular direction. It measures how much a tensor field changes at each point in the direction of the gradient vector.

What is the difference between a tensor gradient and a scalar gradient?

A tensor gradient is a vector field that represents the rate of change of a tensor field in a particular direction, while a scalar gradient is a vector field that represents the rate of change of a scalar field in a particular direction. In other words, a tensor gradient involves the change of a tensor, while a scalar gradient involves the change of a single value.

How is the tensor gradient calculated?

The tensor gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the tensor field with respect to each coordinate direction. This results in a matrix of partial derivatives, which is then multiplied by a vector of the coordinate directions to obtain the tensor gradient vector.

What is the significance of the tensor gradient in physics?

In physics, the tensor gradient is used to represent the rate of change of physical quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and stress, in a particular direction. It is an important tool in understanding and describing the behavior of physical systems.

What is a scalar product of tensors?

A scalar product of tensors is a mathematical operation that takes two tensors and produces a scalar quantity. It is defined as the sum of the products of corresponding components of the two tensors. The scalar product is useful in various applications, such as in calculating work and energy in mechanics.