Tensor calculus independent study questions?

In summary, tensors are an important mathematical concept in physics and are often taught in courses on differential geometry. While most textbooks on tensor calculus require a background in topology, it is possible to learn tensors without this knowledge. A good place to start is chapter 3 of A First Course in General Relativity by Schutz, which defines tensors as multilinear maps and explains the tensor transformation law. From there, one can continue with a math book such as Spivak or Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds for a more rigorous understanding. However, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of topology before studying tensors, as it can be learned afterwards.
brandon078902
I'm a mathematics major and up until now I've taken Calc 1,2,3 (so single + multivariable) a combined course in Elementary Linear Algebra + Differential Equations and PDE's. My school doesn't offer any tensor calculus classes, but I was interested in learning some of it on my own. Do I have enough of a math background to understand tensor calc, and if so, are there any textbook suggestions that you could offer? I'd like something accessible to somebody at my level, because I've seen other threads say you need to know topology/ other math concepts I haven't learned yet to understand most textbooks on tensor calc. Any information would be appreciated because I'm kinda clueless!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at some good physics book on general relativity on this subject. My favorites are Landau/Lifshitz vol. 2 and S. Weinberg, Graviation and Cosmology. For the more modern approach with differential forms (Cartan calculus) have a look at Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, Gravitation (aka "the phone book"). There you should have enough mathematical background.

Tensors are often taught in courses on differential geometry, and most if not all of those books require you to know topology. But it should be possible to ignore everything that involves topology, and just study the tensors. That's what I did, a long time ago.

The best place I know to start is chapter 3 of A first course in general relativity by Schutz. You may have to read some stuff from chapters 1-2 just to understand the notation, but that shouldn't slow you down much. Schutz defines the dual space V* of an arbitrary finite-dimensional vector space V. Then he defines a tensor as a multilinear map ##T:V^*\times\cdots\times V^*\times V\times\cdots\times V\to\mathbb R##. The components of a tensor are the numbers you get when you plug in basis vectors as input. The tensor transformation law is the relationship between the components of a tensor associated with two different bases.

All of this is still relevant when you study tensors in the context of differential geometry. What changes is really just that the space V is now the tangent space ##T_pM## at a point ##p## of a manifold ##M##. There's a lot of topology involved in the definition of a manifold, and in the basic theorems, but you can just ignore all that and take this as your starting point:

• An ##n##-dimensional manifold ##M## is some kind of set (details not important), together with a bunch of functions ##x:U_\alpha\to\mathbb R^n## such that ##M=\bigcup_\alpha U_\alpha##. These functions are called coordinate systems or charts.
  • A coordinate system ##x:U\to\mathbb R^n## is used to define the partial derivative functionals ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\big|_p## associated with a point ##p\in U\subseteq M## by $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\bigg|_p f=(f\circ x^{-1})_{,i}(x(p))$$ for all nice enough functions ##f:M\to\mathbb R##. The notation ##_{,i}## denotes the usual kind of partial differentiation with respect to the ##i##th variable. (Note that ##f\circ x^{-1}## maps a subset of ##\mathbb R^n## to a subset of ##\mathbb R##. That's why the usual kind of partial differentiation works).
  • The tangent space at ##T_pM## is defined as the vector space spanned by those partial derivative functionals. (There are more elegant definitions, but they require much more work, and you end up with the same thing anyway). Note that this makes the ##n##-tuple ##\big(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}\big|_p,\dots,\frac{\partial}{\partial x^n}\big|_p\big)## an ordered basis for ##T_pM##. That's why a change of coordinate system ##x\to y## induces a change of basis ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\big|_p\to \frac{\partial}{\partial y^i}\big|_p##, which induces a change of tensor components.

Thanks for the replies.
So the best way to learn tensor calculus is through a physics text? I should mention that I've had a freshman calc-based mechanics course, but that's the extent of my physics knowledge

The physics text I mentioned is a great place to start, but once you've read that chapter, you should continue with a real math book. (I can't comment on the approach vanhees71 suggested, since I haven't read any of those books). For me it was Spivak, but Lee ("Introduction to smooth manifolds") is probably a better option now. It's a better book, but I haven't read the part of it that introduces tensor fields, because I already understood those quite well.

Even if you start at the beginning of Schutz and read chapters 1-3, you wouldn't need any more physics than you already know. Chapter 1 is an awesome presentation of special relativity, so if that interests you at all, maybe you should read chapters 1-3. If not, then skip chapter 1, skim chapter 2 to see what notation he's using, and then study chapter 3.

Schutz is pretty much equivalent to the physics books I mentioned; it's a good choice in any case too. Of course, if you aim at an understanding in a mathematically rigorous way, you have to read math books. To understand them, to have a naive idea about the object's meaning nevertheless also helps a lot to understand the rigorous maths better.

What other math would you advise I learn before attempting tensor calc then? @Fredrik you said many texts require a knowledge of topology. I'm wondering how advanced a knowledge I'd need to grasp an introductory text on tensors. I'd be willing to study the prerequisite subjects required, and if there are any texts that would suit that purpose, it'd be great.

It's pretty difficult stuff. If you try to study the topology first, I think you would have to spend several times as much time on the topology as on the tensors. That stuff in Schutz will only take you a few days, and will really help your understanding of tensors. But if you insist on topology first so that you can read Lee's introduction to smooth manifolds from page 1, you could end up spending 3 months studying topology, and then 3 weeks studying the definitions and basics theorems about manifolds and tangent spaces, before you even begin to study tensors.

So if it's tensors that you're interested in, I strongly recommend that you skip the topology and study the tensors first. Then when you understand tensors, you can think about filling in the gaps in your knowledge about manifolds, by studying topology and then studying Lee.

Munkres is a good standard text on topology, but if you're studying topology specifically to prepare for Lee, then Lee might be the best option. He has another book called "Introduction to topological manifolds". Topology is however a difficult enough subject that one book may not be enough. Get a few of them so that you can check out another book when you get stuck on a proof, or find it difficult to understand a concept.

Thanks for all the replies!
I think I'll probably study the tensors first, then topology, and maybe go back and fill in any gaps afterwards

Related to Tensor calculus independent study questions?

1. What is tensor calculus?

Tensor calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different coordinate systems. It is a powerful tool used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is tensor calculus important?

Tensor calculus is important because it allows us to describe and analyze complex physical phenomena, such as the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in general relativity and other areas of theoretical physics.

3. What are some practical applications of tensor calculus?

Tensor calculus has many practical applications in various fields, including image processing, computer vision, robotics, and machine learning. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings, and in the study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics.

4. Is tensor calculus difficult to learn?

Tensor calculus can be challenging to learn, especially for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics. It requires a solid understanding of linear algebra, multivariate calculus, and differential geometry. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered.

5. How can I improve my understanding of tensor calculus?

To improve your understanding of tensor calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in the prerequisite subjects mentioned earlier. It is also helpful to work through practice problems and engage in discussions with others who are also studying tensor calculus. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available that can aid in your learning.