Revolutions per minute would a 15m diameter Ferris wheel

In summary, a 15m diameter Ferris wheel would complete approximately 1.5 revolutions per minute. This is based on the standard calculation for the circumference of a circle, where the distance traveled in one revolution is equal to the diameter of the circle multiplied by pi (3.14). Therefore, a Ferris wheel with a diameter of 15m would have a circumference of approximately 47.1m, and at a speed of 1.5 revolutions per minute, it would travel a distance of 70.65m per minute. This speed is often adjusted for safety and enjoyment purposes, with some Ferris wheels completing more or less revolutions per minute depending on the size and design of the wheel.
PerpetuallyFrustrate
How many revolutions per minute would a 15m diameter Ferris wheel need to make for the passengers to feel weightless at the topmost point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

FR = M * V^2 / R
FG = M * g
g = V^2 / R
D = 2 * [pi] * R

Live long and prosper.

I Know That

I have an answer but I need to check if it's correct. I got 11 revolutions per minute. Can anyone verify?

Remarkably, I get the same thing. That's awfully fast but then I've never been on a "weightless" ferris wheel!

1. How is the revolution per minute (RPM) of a Ferris wheel calculated?

The RPM of a Ferris wheel is calculated by dividing the number of rotations the wheel makes in one minute by the number of minutes in an hour. This calculation is based on the formula RPM = rotations per minute/60.

2. Does the size of the Ferris wheel affect its RPM?

Yes, the size of the Ferris wheel does affect its RPM. Generally, the larger the wheel, the slower the RPM. This is because a larger wheel has a greater circumference, meaning it takes longer to complete one full rotation.

3. How does the speed of the Ferris wheel affect its RPM?

The speed of the Ferris wheel does not directly affect its RPM. The RPM is determined by the number of rotations the wheel makes in one minute, not its speed. However, a faster speed will result in a higher RPM because the wheel will complete more rotations in one minute.

4. What is the average RPM of a 15m diameter Ferris wheel?

The average RPM of a 15m diameter Ferris wheel can vary, but it is typically between 1-3 RPM. This means the wheel completes one full rotation every 1-3 minutes.

5. Can a Ferris wheel have a negative RPM?

No, a Ferris wheel cannot have a negative RPM. RPM is a measure of the number of rotations per minute, so it must always be a positive value. A negative RPM would imply that the wheel is rotating in the opposite direction, which is not possible for a Ferris wheel.