Tension or Compression: Determining the Forces on a Hinged Support Point

In summary, the problem presents a weight W being supported by two light rigid rods P and Q, which are hinged to the wall and mounted in the same vertical plane. The question asks which rod is in compression and which is in tension. To solve this, one can use Newton's second law on the point where the two rods meet, considering that it is in static equilibrium, and determine the forces acting on it. This will reveal which rod is experiencing an inward force, or compression, and which is experiencing an outward force, or tension.
tonald
The figure shows a weight W supported by two light rigid rods P and Q. The rods are smoothly hinged to the wall and mounted in the same vertical plane. Which rod is in compression , is in tension?

Attachments

• FZ.jpg
    FZ.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've done so far and where you got stuck.

I can't think anything...
Actually, compression means the force towards the wall?
Can you give me some hints to start with the question...

"Compression" means that there's an inward force pushing on the ends of the rod; "tension" means there's an outward force on the rod.

This is a problem in static equilibrium.

Can you show me how to solve this question...
I really can't solve it
or please give me some hints to guide me to finish it ,thanks...

Welcome to PF!

tonald said:
The figure shows a weight W supported by two light rigid rods P and Q. The rods are smoothly hinged to the wall and mounted in the same vertical plane. Which rod is in compression , is in tension?

Hi tonald! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use good ol' Newton's second law on the peg (or whatever it is) where the two rods meet …

it isn't moving, and there are three forces on it, so they … ? :smile:

Related to Tension or Compression: Determining the Forces on a Hinged Support Point

What is tension?

Tension is a force that pulls or stretches an object in opposite directions, causing it to elongate or deform.

What is compression?

Compression is a force that pushes or squeezes an object together, causing it to become shorter or thicker.

What are some examples of tension?

Examples of tension include pulling a rubber band, stretching a spring, or hanging a weight from a string.

What are some examples of compression?

Examples of compression include squeezing a sponge, pressing on a spring, or stacking books on top of each other.

How does tension and compression affect structures?

Tension and compression are important forces in determining the strength and stability of structures. Too much tension can cause structures to snap or break, while too much compression can cause structures to buckle or collapse.