Tension in Suspended Traffic Light Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension in the y-direction of two cables with a weight of 40 N hanging from them. The individual tensions, T1y and T2y, are not equal and must be calculated separately. The problem becomes easier when analyzing the weight in two directions, one on the AC line and one on the AB line. It is noted that T1y and T2y would be equal if the angles with the y-axis were the same, but this is not the case. Ultimately, the sum of T1y and T2y must equal the weight of 40 N.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-6_15-25-18.png

Homework Equations

Weight = Tension in y direction??

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that W = the tension in the y direction of the two cables so that T2y and T1y are both 20 N each. Thus, i calculated that the tension in AC is 33 N ( cos(53.1) = 20/T1 --> T1 = 20/ cos(53.1) = 33N

But the answer is 24? What is wrong with my answer?[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_15-25-18.png
    upload_2017-11-6_15-25-18.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,251
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

T1y is not equal to T2y.

Hint : The problem becomes easier if you analyse W in two directions (1 on the AC line and 1 on the AB line).

DoItForYourself said:
Hello,

T1y is not equal to T2y.

Hint : The problem becomes easier if you analyse W in two directions (1 on the AC line and 1 on the AB line).
Wouldn't it make sense if they are equal though? I'm just surprised since I would've immediately assumed that they were the same... in what cases would they be the same? But, i do understand that T1y + T2y = W right?

Nevermind, i think i understand that they both wouldn't be T=20 because they are at different angles

Last edited by a moderator:
But the angles with the y-axis are different for each cable. If the angles were 45 degrees, the cables would have the same length and then T1y=T2y=20 N.

Of course, their sum is equal to 40 (because ΣFy=0).

Likes Lori
Lori said:
Wouldn't it make sense if they are equal though?
It often helps to consider a more extreme example. What if one cable were vertical, or very nearly?

Related to Tension in Suspended Traffic Light Problem

1. What is the "Tension in Suspended Traffic Light Problem"?

The "Tension in Suspended Traffic Light Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension in the wires holding up a suspended traffic light.

2. What are the factors that affect the tension in the wires?

The tension in the wires is affected by the weight of the traffic light, the angle of the wires, and the gravitational force acting on the traffic light.

3. How do you calculate the tension in the wires?

The tension in the wires can be calculated using the formula T = mg / cosθ, where T is tension, m is the mass of the traffic light, g is the gravitational force, and θ is the angle of the wires.

4. Why is it important to calculate the tension in the wires?

It is important to calculate the tension in the wires to ensure that they can support the weight of the traffic light and prevent any accidents or damage.

5. What are some real-life applications of this problem?

This problem has real-life applications in the design and maintenance of suspension bridges, cranes, and other structures that use cables or wires to support objects.