Tension in string with rollers

In summary: It seems reasonable that if you accelerate the string (and thus lift the weight), you'll be accelerating the weight which will cause its apparent weight to increase, thus increasing the tension in the string. The weight and thus tension increase will be negligible for a 0.02 m/s^2 acceleration.Hope this helps.
stringtension
I have read at many places that tension in the string remains same throught the string.

I have a string which is held tight at two ends. It is passing around different rollers. Now, I have small weight hanging on the string at one place. Does this mean that I have same tension throught the string in the amount equivalent to the weight?

I have drawn a free body diagram and attached it here.

Thanks everyone,

Attachments

• string tension.JPG
    string tension.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
stringtension said:
I have read at many places that tension in the string remains same throught the string.

I have a string which is held tight at two ends. It is passing around different rollers. Now, I have small weight hanging on the string at one place. Does this mean that I have same tension throught the string in the amount equivalent to the weight?

I have drawn a free body diagram and attached it here.

Thanks everyone,

Provided that the string is massless, then yes, the tension is the same throughout.

CS

stewartcs said:
Provided that the string is massless, then yes, the tension is the same throughout.

CS

And that will be equivalent to the mass hanging. ( T = mg ) Am I right?

stringtension said:
And that will be equivalent to the mass hanging. ( T = mg ) Am I right?

Yes.

CS

Thanks,

Now, instead of string held at both places, if I have some acceleration on one side, does that change the tension in the string?

I have attached a new picture which shows the acceleration. The mass will be lifted because of the string motion. I am not sure whether this will change the tension.

Attachments

• string tension 2.jpg
    string tension 2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 449
stringtension said:
Thanks,

Now, instead of string held at both places, if I have some acceleration on one side, does that change the tension in the string?

I have attached a new picture which shows the acceleration. The mass will be lifted because of the string motion. I am not sure whether this will change the tension.

As long as the string is massless, the acceleration will not matter. The tension is still constant.

BTW I can't see your pictures since they have not been approved yet.

CS

Last edited:
Also I'm assuming the pulleys are ideal.

CS

Yes. Pulleys are ideal.

String held tight at one end all the time. On the other end, there is a block attached. In the beginning, block is steady. So, only tension in the string is because of the weight hanging there in the middle of the string.

Now, we are moving the block. This will lift the weight. So, you are saying that movement of the block will not add any tension in the string.

It will be much easier once you see the picture.

Thanks,

stringtension said:
Yes. Pulleys are ideal.

String held tight at one end all the time. On the other end, there is a block attached. In the beginning, block is steady. So, only tension in the string is because of the weight hanging there in the middle of the string.

Now, we are moving the block. This will lift the weight. So, you are saying that movement of the block will not add any tension in the string.

It will be much easier once you see the picture.

Thanks,

What I've said so far is that the tension will be constant throughout the string assuming an ideal pulley and a massless string. The magnitude of the tension, however, will depend on the acceleration.

Once I can see your picture I may be able to reply more directly to your case. In the mean time, perhaps this site will help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/atwd.html#c1

CS

I got to make sure here is that tension in the spring does not go beyond equal to 200 gms at any point.
I believe I already have a tension of 125 gms.
Direction of the tension of acceleration is different than tension because of weight. Does that make dieerence or should I just add the two tensions together.
Any help will be apreciated,

stringtension said:
I got to make sure here is that tension in the spring does not go beyond equal to 200 gms at any point.
I believe I already have a tension of 125 gms.
Direction of the tension of acceleration is different than tension because of weight. Does that make dieerence or should I just add the two tensions together.
Any help will be apreciated,

It seems reasonable that if you accelerate the string (and thus lift the weight), you'll be accelerating the weight which will cause its apparent weight to increase, thus increasing the tension in the string. The weight and thus tension increase will be negligible for a 0.02 m/s^2 acceleration.

Hope this helps.

CS

Related to Tension in string with rollers

1. What is tension in a string with rollers?

Tension in a string with rollers refers to the force being applied to the string due to the weight of an object that is being supported by the string. It is the result of the string being pulled in opposite directions by the weight of the object and the force of the rollers.

2. How is tension affected by the number of rollers?

The number of rollers can affect the tension in a string by distributing the weight of the object over a larger surface area. This can reduce the tension in the string, making it easier to support heavier objects.

3. What factors influence tension in a string with rollers?

The tension in a string with rollers is influenced by the weight of the object being supported, the number of rollers, and the distance between the rollers. Other factors that can affect tension include the properties of the string, such as elasticity and thickness.

4. How can tension in a string with rollers be calculated?

The formula for calculating tension in a string with rollers is T = (W + F)/n, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object being supported, F is the force of the rollers, and n is the number of rollers. This formula assumes that the weight of the string is negligible.

5. Why is it important to consider tension in a string with rollers?

Tension in a string with rollers is important to consider because it affects the stability and strength of the system. If the tension is too high, it can cause the string to break or the rollers to slip. If the tension is too low, the object may not be properly supported. Understanding and managing tension is crucial for the safety and functionality of the system.