Tension in string for a bob pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a simple pendulum with a bob of mass m and length L. The problem is to find the tension in the string at position Q, where the string is vertical. The conversation discusses the use of centripetal and centrifugal forces and the correct equations to use. It also highlights the importance of choosing the correct frame of reference and using the law of conservation of mechanical energy to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of successfully solving the problem.
Nicholaz99
Member advised to complete the formatting template for posts in the homework areas, and show an attempt at solution.

Homework Statement

-------------------------------------
|.\
|...\
|...\
|...\
Q...O P

O=the bob
Teta=60 degree
The bob of a simple pendulum is released from rest at P. The mass of the bob is m and the length of the pendulum is L

What is the tension in the string when the pendulum bob is at position Q (where the string is vertical)?

I don't have any idea about this.. please guys help me to solve this problem... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could give it a try you know
Start off by identifying what forces act in the Bob as it moves to Q from P

Likes Nicholaz99
At first, I think that the tension string will be the same as the Weight, so i answer T=mg, but the answer key is T=2mg.
So, I start to think about the centripetal and centrifugal force... but still I don't have any idea to solve it..
Is my idea about the centripetal and centrifugal is correct?

Perfect! Now that centrifugal force is arising due to the motion of the Bob right? How do you relate the force and motion?

Likes Nicholaz99
Nicholaz99 said:
At first, I think that the tension string will be the same as the Weight, so i answer T=mg, but the answer key is T=2mg.
So, I start to think about the centripetal and centrifugal force... but still I don't have any idea to solve it..
Is my idea about the centripetal and centrifugal is correct?
Yes, it's about centripetal force. What do you need to figure out in order to find the centripetal force at Q?

Likes Nicholaz99
That's my problem.. i don't understand well about the centripetal force.. am i right if i draw the centripetal force in the same direction as T? So my equation will be
Fy=0
T=W-Fs

Also when does we use the centrifugal and when does we use the centripetal one? Thanks for all

Think of it practically Nichol
If you take a bob with a thread and hold it in your hand you feel a certainty pull now if you use it as a pendulum does that pull increase or decrease? Depending on that judge if your equation
T= W-Fs is right or not
Your Fs is what again?
Please define all the symbols you use :-)

Likes Nicholaz99
you have to get your frame of reference right.
if you are working in the frame of reference of the bob you have to take centrifugal force into consideration(it acts outwards)
but if you are working in the frame of the Earth (or ground or the point of suspension of the bob) you have to take into consideration the centripetal force.
(since it is necessary for rotational motion,in this case the tension provides the necessary centripetal force)
if you don't know what that means i suggest first reading up on that.

Likes Nicholaz99
Ah i see...Now I understand that my equation is wrong...
It must be T=W+Fcentrifugal
T=mg+mv^2/r
T=mg+m(omega)^2 L

Now, how do i change the omega ?
Thanks guys for your helps...

Nicholaz99 said:
Ah i see...Now I understand that my equation is wrong...
It must be T=W+Fcentrifugal
T=mg+mv^2/r
T=mg+m(omega)^2 L

Now, how do i change the omega ?
Thanks guys for your helps...

you can use the law of conservation of mechanical energy it will give you the velocity at Q
then find omega and solve for T.

Likes Nicholaz99
Thanks for the help guys... I appreciate it so much :D
Finally I solve this problem lol

Related to Tension in string for a bob pendulum

What is the formula for calculating the tension in a string for a bob pendulum?

The formula for calculating the tension in a string for a bob pendulum is T = mgcosθ + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the bob, g is the gravitational acceleration, θ is the angle between the string and the vertical, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

How does the length of the string affect the tension in a bob pendulum?

The length of the string does not have a direct effect on the tension in a bob pendulum. However, a longer string will result in a larger angle between the string and the vertical, which will increase the tension according to the formula T = mgcosθ + ma.

What factors can affect the tension in a string for a bob pendulum?

The tension in a string for a bob pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the bob, the gravitational acceleration, the length of the string, and the angle between the string and the vertical.

Does the tension in a string for a bob pendulum remain constant?

No, the tension in a string for a bob pendulum is not constant. It changes as the pendulum swings due to the changing angle between the string and the vertical, as well as the changing centripetal acceleration.

Why is the tension in the string important for a bob pendulum?

The tension in the string is important for a bob pendulum because it is responsible for keeping the bob in its circular motion. Without the appropriate tension, the pendulum would not be able to swing properly and the motion would not be consistent.