Tension in parachute cord on dragster

In summary, the equation Fn-T=ma states that the net force is the sum of all the applied forces. The applied forces are the force of gravity and the normal force from the ground. The net force is the tension in the parachute line.
angryzeena

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-19_20-36-54.png

Homework Equations

Fn - T = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn-T=ma
810kg x 2.5m/s2 - T = 810 kg x -2.5m/s2
T=0

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this force "Fn"?

sorry couldn't type subscript. It is the net force.

angryzeena said:
sorry couldn't type subscript. It is the net force.
The net force is the sum of all the applied forces. What are the applied forces?
The acceleration is what results from the net force: ##F_{net}=\Sigma F = ma##.

applied forces are:
-2025 kgm/s2 from the parachute
I have a feeling we are missing other applied forces.

angryzeena said:
applied forces are:
-2025 kgm/s2 from the parachute
I have a feeling we are missing other applied forces.
No, that is the only force of interest. (There is gravity and the normal force from the ground, but they cancel out.)
So what is the net force? What equation does that give you?

ok so - tension is the force transmitted through the cord on the object. Force of gravity and normal upward force are equal so cancel out but we are trying figure out horizontal force not vertical force anyways.
We are lost...

angryzeena said:
ok so - tension is the force transmitted through the cord on the object. Force of gravity and normal upward force are equal so cancel out but we are trying figure out horizontal force not vertical force anyways.
We are lost...
You should ask yourself, if the tension in the parachute line is truly equal to zero, then why have the parachute attached to the dragster at all? What is the parachute doing?

angryzeena said:

Homework Equations

Fn - T = ma

Isn't the correct form of this equation Fnet = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn-T=ma
810kg x 2.5m/s2 - T = 810 kg x -2.5m/s2
T=0

By putting the deceleration force on both sides of the equation, how else can T be anything but zero?

exactly what we thought - T cannot be zero as it wouldn't be doing any work.
So then we thought T = net force on the object = ma = 810 kg x 2.5 m/s2 but that seems to be incorrect? Why?

angryzeena said:
So then we thought T = net force on the object = ma = 810 kg x 2.5 m/s2 but that seems to be incorrect? Why?
How do you know it's incorrect?

haruspex said that was only the force of interest not the net force. Also 2025 N is not one of the options for an answer.

angryzeena said:
Does it not match any of the offered answers? The choices are only specified to two significant digits, so round your answer accordingly and then compare. What do you get?

angryzeena said:
haruspex said that was only the force of interest not the net force. Also 2025 N is not one of the options for an answer.
I didn't say it was not the net force. If it's the only force of interest then it is the net force.
And 2025 N is one of the answers (see my preceding post).

ah ha it is becoming clearer. I appreciate you making me think.

It has been many years since physics 12 - I am helping my daughter. She and I will laugh in the morning over thinking that 2025 N does not equal 2.0x10 to the third when rounded. Many thanks...

Related to Tension in parachute cord on dragster

1. What is the purpose of tension in a parachute cord on a dragster?

The tension in a parachute cord on a dragster is crucial for slowing down the dragster after it has reached high speeds during a race. It helps to create drag and reduce the speed of the vehicle to a safe and controlled stop.

2. How is the tension in a parachute cord on a dragster measured?

The tension in a parachute cord on a dragster is typically measured in pounds or Newtons using a tension meter. This device measures the amount of force being applied to the cord and gives an accurate reading of the tension.

3. What factors affect the tension in a parachute cord on a dragster?

The tension in a parachute cord on a dragster can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the vehicle, the speed at which it is traveling, the length and thickness of the cord, and the design of the parachute itself. Other external factors such as wind and air resistance can also play a role in the tension.

4. How do you adjust the tension in a parachute cord on a dragster?

Adjusting the tension in a parachute cord on a dragster can be done by changing the length and thickness of the cord, as well as the design of the parachute. These adjustments can be made through trial and error, with the goal of finding the optimal tension for the specific dragster and track conditions.

5. What happens if the tension in a parachute cord on a dragster is too high or too low?

If the tension in a parachute cord on a dragster is too high, it can cause the dragster to slow down too quickly and potentially come to a sudden stop, which can be dangerous for the driver. If the tension is too low, the dragster may not slow down enough and could potentially run off the end of the track. It is important to find the right balance of tension for a safe and successful race.