Tension in a rope placed on a cone

In summary: Net force = -T(radial component) + T(normal component)= -ρdθ (radial component) + ρdθ (normal component)= -mrθ (radial component) + mrθ (normal component)= -(mgcosθ + msinθ)rad= -(mgcotθ + msinθ)rad
Vibhor

Homework Statement

A rope of mass m forming a circle is placed over a smooth round cone with half angle θ. Find the tension in the rope .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the half angle is θ , the normal force N acts at an angle θ with the horizontal . The weight acts downwards.

Assuming (since I am not sure ) that the tension T acts towards the center of the circle formed by the rope , doing the force balance ,

Ncosθ = T
Nsinθ = mg

So,tension T = mgcotθ .

I don't have the answer key ,so is this the correct answer ? I somehow have the feeling that this is incorrect .

Many thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension always acts along the rope, i.e., in the rope direction. You also cannot make an equality between the normal force and the tension in this fashion. If you want to make a force balance analysis, you must look at a small part of the rope, otherwise the horizontal forces will cancel out trivially due to symmetry.

Likes Vibhor and DEvens
Right .

After reading your response my analysis in the OP looks absolutely terrible :rolleyes:.

If I do force balance on an infinitesimal length of the rope ,then I get ##T = \frac{mgcotθ}{2\pi}## . Do you get the same answer ?

Please check my understanding on this question .

i) The tension in the rope exists because the horizontal component of normal force from the cone pushes the rope radially outwards .

ii) The magnitude of the tension depends only on the weight of the rope and apex angle of the cone irrespective of the position of the rope on the cone OR the length of the rope .

Is my analysis of the problem correct ?

Yes, this seems like a fair description of the situation.

However, note the requirement of a frictionless contact between the rope and cone. This might not be applicable in some situations I can think of.

Can you please explain how you got to the second answer? I'm a bit puzzled.

Shameek Baranwal said:
Can you please explain how you got to the second answer? I'm a bit puzzled.
Consider a short section of rope of length rdφ, where r is the radius of the loop and dφ is the angle the section subtends at the centre.
The tension T acts at each end of it, but not in exactly opposite directions. What is the net force from that?

Related to Tension in a rope placed on a cone

1. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope, string, or cable when it is pulled taut. It is also known as the pulling force.

2. How does tension affect a rope placed on a cone?

When a rope is placed on a cone, the tension in the rope will increase as the angle between the rope and the cone decreases. This is because the weight of the rope is distributed over a smaller area as the angle decreases, causing an increase in tension.

3. What factors can affect tension in a rope on a cone?

The tension in a rope on a cone can be affected by the weight of the rope, the angle of the rope, the diameter of the cone, and the material of the rope. Any changes in these factors can lead to a change in tension.

4. How is tension in a rope on a cone calculated?

The tension in a rope on a cone can be calculated by using the formula T = mg/cosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the rope, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the rope and the cone.

5. What are some real-life applications of tension in a rope on a cone?

Tension in a rope on a cone is important in various real-life applications such as rock climbing, zip lining, and suspension bridges. It is also used in cranes and elevators to lift heavy objects.