Tension in a Rope: Calculate Force for 20kg

In summary, a 20kg box is hanging from a rope on a building site. The tension, which is the upward force acting on the box, must be calculated for three scenarios: stationary, moving upwards at a constant speed of 6m/s, and moving upwards with an acceleration of 6m/s. The equations used for these calculations are F=ma and Fnet=0 or Fnet=ma. It is important to draw a free body diagram and properly identify the direction and magnitude of the forces involved. The tension force always acts upward on the box, opposite to the weight force, which acts downward toward the center of the earth.
some_guy
First post, so be nice :P

Homework Statement

A box with mas of 20kg is hanging from a rope on a building site. Calculate tension when:
a) Stationary
b)Moving upwards at consteant speed of 6m/s
c)Moving upwards with accelleration of 6m/s

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know as i have never seen 'tension' used in a question before but i am guessing that for a) you take acceleration as -9.8m/s2 (gravity) and work out force. for b) same as a and c) is -9.8+6 and then into equation.

I am quite new to this (as you can tell) and got confused with tension. I am currently taking tension as the quivilent of force.Am i right? (P.S: I could use 9.8 as acceleration if i wanted positive answer).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The tension is the force pulling up on the box. The other force acting is the weight of the box, down. You must draw a free body diagram that identifies both forces, and solve for the unknown tension force using Newton's first law (Fnet = 0) or
2nd law (Fnet = ma), as applicable. Please watch your directions and use of plus and minus signs. Don't take any shortcuts.

so tension is the upward force not downward?

some_guy said:
so tension is the upward force not downward?
Yes, it acts upward on the box. Tension forces always pull away from the objects they act on. When you isolate the box in a free body diagram, the weight acts down on the box, toward the center of the earth, and the tension force pulls up on the box, toward the top. I understand your confusion; if you look at the hook at the top to which the rope is attached, the tension force, pulling away from the hook, acts down (per Newton 3). It is important to isolate the object in question with a good free body diagram.

right thanks for the help! It has cleared up everything perfectly!

Related to Tension in a Rope: Calculate Force for 20kg

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is pulling on the rope from both ends. It is the force that keeps the rope taut and prevents it from breaking or becoming slack.

2. How do you calculate tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object being pulled, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

3. What unit is used to measure tension in a rope?

The unit used to measure tension in a rope is Newtons (N). This is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How much force is needed to support a 20kg object with a rope?

To support a 20kg object with a rope, you would need to apply a force of 196 Newtons (N) to the rope (using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity).

5. What factors can affect the amount of tension in a rope?

The amount of tension in a rope can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and any external forces acting on the rope (such as wind or friction). Additionally, the material and thickness of the rope can also impact the amount of tension it can withstand.