Tension Force Problem: Solving for T1 with x and y components using trigonometry

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the x and y components of T1 using the equations 400cos(55) and 400sin(55). It is mentioned that the x-component of T1 will be equal in magnitude to the x-component of T2 but with an opposite sign to give a net force of 0. The conversation also briefly mentions finding the weight, possibly 32.42g, but it is unsure how to get there. The expert then provides a summary of the equations used to find T1 and T2 and suggests finding the weight using these equations.
Susie
Homework Statement
A metal ball is suspended from the ceiling from two ropes. One of the ropes is at an angle of 55 degrees to the ceiling and has a tension of 400N. The other rope is at an angle of 75 degrees to the ceiling. What is the tension in the second rope? What is the mass of the metal ball?
Relevant Equations
400cos(55), 400sin(55)
I know I have to find the x and y components of T1 using 400cos(55) and 400sin(55) and I know that the x-component of T1 will = the x-component of T2 but opposite sign to give 0. But idk how to get there and what do to for the y-component. I think I found the weight, I think it’s 32.42g but I’m not too sure about that either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Susie said:
idk how to get there
I don't see your problem. You just explained how to get there, i.e. the x component of the second tension.
Susie said:
what do to for the y-component
You know the x component and the angle...

haruspex said:
I don't see your problem. You just explained how to get there, i.e. the x component of the second tension.

You know the x component and the angle...
So basically it’s just
T1= <229,328>
T2=<-229,T2sin(75)>
Fnet=<229-229,328+T2sin(75)-(9.81)(32.42)>
?

Susie said:
So basically it’s just
T1= <229,328>
T2=<-229,T2sin(75)>
Fnet=<229-229,328+T2sin(75)-(9.81)(32.42)>
?
Yes, except ...
Where did you get the 32.42 from? I don't think it is right. You should be finding this from these equations.
You can easily find T2sin(75) from the 229 figure. What is the relationship between the x and y components of T2?

Related to Tension Force Problem: Solving for T1 with x and y components using trigonometry

What is tension force?

Tension force is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any other type of object that is being pulled or stretched.

What is the "T1" in the tension force problem?

"T1" refers to the tension force at one end of the object, while "T2" refers to the tension force at the other end. In the problem, we are solving for the value of T1 using trigonometry.

How are x and y components used in solving the tension force problem?

The x and y components represent the horizontal and vertical forces acting on the object. By breaking down the tension force into these components, we can use trigonometry to solve for the value of T1.

Why is trigonometry used to solve the tension force problem?

Trigonometry is used because it allows us to calculate the magnitude and direction of a force when we know the value of its components. In the tension force problem, we can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for the unknown force.

What are some tips for solving the tension force problem with trigonometry?

Some tips for solving the tension force problem include drawing a clear diagram, labeling all known and unknown values, and using the appropriate trigonometric function based on the given information. It is also helpful to review trigonometric identities and equations to simplify the problem.