Tension Force Parallel to the Ground (Perpendicular to Gravity)

In summary, the conversation discusses a block on a ramp being held by a tension force parallel to the horizontal. The question is whether the tension force is greater, equal, or less than when it is parallel to the ramp. The suggested equations to solve this problem are trigonometric functions, specifically FgCostheta = Fn and FnCostheta = Fg. The individual has tried multiple methods for drawing the triangle and equating for Ft, and has also uploaded a file for correction. Ultimately, the correct equation should be Ft = mg/Costheta, but the individual is getting different equations such as Ft = mg/Cottheta. It is noted that the block should be on the plane and not pivoting on a corner
Redfire66

Homework Statement

A block on a ramp is held by a tension force parallel to the horizontal (not the ramp). If originally the tension force was parallel to the ramp, is the tension force when it was parallel greater, equal, or less than when it is horizontal?

Homework Equations

Trigonometric Functions

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say with the work I have that it is less than, as is the answer, but it's how I get the answer that differs
I have drawn a free body diagram, where FgCostheta = Fn (I've been wonder would FnCostheta also equate to Fg? It makes sense when you draw it but honestly it does not make sense when making the equation)
I know FgCostheta = Fn or FnCostheta = Fg if I draw the triangles differently
I also tried many different methods for equating for Ft (since there are multiple methods for drawing that triangle. Like the perpendicular side points up, or is along Ft, etc)
The diagram doesn't have all of it, since I broke it off to a few more stuff and it just got too crowded so I just uploaded the file that I've been told is wrong. Doesn't look wrong to me so I was hoping if I could get some correction
I should've gotten Ft = mg/Costheta however I get different equations such as Ft = mg/Cottheta

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the block is meant to be on the plane not pivoting on a corner?

Draw the two free body diagrams (one for the parallel case and one for the horizontal) and show us your two equations for Ft.

Related to Tension Force Parallel to the Ground (Perpendicular to Gravity)

1. What is tension force parallel to the ground?

Tension force parallel to the ground, also known as horizontal tension force, is a force that is exerted on an object in a horizontal direction, parallel to the ground. It is caused by pulling or stretching an object along its length.

2. How is tension force parallel to the ground different from tension force perpendicular to gravity?

Tension force parallel to the ground is perpendicular to the force of gravity, which is vertical. This means that the tension force and the force of gravity act at right angles to each other. In contrast, tension force perpendicular to gravity is exerted in the same direction as the force of gravity, either upwards or downwards.

3. What are some examples of tension force parallel to the ground?

Examples of tension force parallel to the ground include pulling a wagon or a suitcase, stretching a rubber band, or pulling a rope in a horizontal direction.

4. How is tension force parallel to the ground measured?

Tension force parallel to the ground is typically measured in units of newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). The amount of tension force can be measured using a spring scale or a force meter.

5. How does tension force parallel to the ground affect the motion of an object?

Tension force parallel to the ground can either increase or decrease the speed of an object, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. When it is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, it can increase the speed. On the other hand, if it is applied in the opposite direction, it can slow down or even stop the object's motion.