Tension between local and CMB measurements of Hubble constant

In summary, recent news stories have highlighted a 2.4% determination of the local value of the Hubble Constant by Riess et al. The paper discusses two measurements, one of the Hubble constant and the other of the sound horizon observed from the cosmic microwave background radiation. Possible explanations for the discrepancy between these measurements include time-dependent or early dark energy, gravitational physics beyond General Relativity, additional relativistic particles, or nonzero curvature. Systematic uncertainties in CMB measurements may also play a role. While this issue has been discussed before, the newer and more accurate measurement has made the discrepancy worse. It is difficult to explain how the local measurement could be wrong by such a significant amount. The possibility of sterile neutrinos helping to explain
mitchell porter
Gold Member
"A 2.4% Determination of the Local Value of the Hubble Constant" by Riess et al has led to some excited news stories recently. I don't see it discussed anywhere here. Looking for the essence of the paper, I note three things:
  1. The two measurements considered are "the Hubble constant ... measured locally" and "the sound horizon observed from the cosmic microwave background radiation"
  2. Possible causes of a discrepancy include "time-dependent or early dark energy, gravitational physics beyond General Relativity, additional relativistic particles, or nonzero curvature"
  3. "Systematic uncertainties in CMB measurements may [also] play a role in the tension"

Space news on Phys.org
We discussed this last week in my research group. This is not a new problem, but the newer, more accurate measurement by Riess et.al. has made the discrepancy worse. The consensus among the people I talked to is that it is hard to see how the local measurement can be wrong by the amount required to make it consistent with Planck. On question I had that I don't know the answer to is whether sterile neutrinos as hypothesized in the Nu-MSM model can help. I think the answer is no, since these neutrinos are massive and not relativistic, but I'm not certain. Anybody?

The Riess data only considers the value of H_0 out to z=0.15. I wonder how the value of H_0 looks over different redshift bins. If the value of H_0 trends according to redshift range this finding would be more interesting, IMO. Right now, it looks like a case of unknown systematic errors. Obviously, local [z<0.15] redshift measures should be more accurate simply because our distance measures are more accurate at z<0.15 than we can realistically expect at higher z values.

Related to Tension between local and CMB measurements of Hubble constant

1. What is the Hubble constant and why is it important?

The Hubble constant, denoted as H0, is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is important because it allows us to estimate the age of the universe and understand the evolution of the cosmos.

2. What are local measurements of the Hubble constant and how are they obtained?

Local measurements of the Hubble constant are obtained by using various techniques, such as the supernova technique, to measure the distances to nearby galaxies and then calculating their recessional velocities. These measurements are based on observations of objects within our local universe.

3. How are CMB measurements of the Hubble constant different from local measurements?

CMB (cosmic microwave background) measurements of the Hubble constant are obtained by studying the radiation left over from the early universe. They provide a more global and precise measurement of the Hubble constant, as they are not limited to the nearby universe and can provide a more accurate estimate of the expansion rate of the entire universe.

4. Why is there tension between local and CMB measurements of the Hubble constant?

The tension between local and CMB measurements of the Hubble constant arises because the two methods provide different values for H0. Local measurements tend to give a lower value for H0, while CMB measurements give a higher value. This discrepancy could be due to systematic errors in the measurements or it could be an indication of new physics that we do not yet understand.

5. How are scientists working to resolve the tension between local and CMB measurements of the Hubble constant?

Scientists are working to resolve the tension between local and CMB measurements of the Hubble constant by improving the accuracy of their measurements and studying potential sources of systematic errors. They are also exploring new methods and techniques for measuring H0, such as using gravitational lensing and studying the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, efforts are being made to better understand the physics behind the expansion of the universe, which could help explain the discrepancy between the two measurements.