Tension at which a loop of wire will break

This can be rewritten as T>(I^2/8\pi^2)(dL/dr). This shows that T must be greater than a certain value in order for the loop to remain intact.
Signifier

Homework Statement

Note that in the following, 4[tex]\pi[/tex] means 4 * pi not 4 ^ pi...

A circular loop of wire of self-inductance L and radius r carries a current I. If T is the tension in the wire for which it will break, show that T must be greater than (I2/4[tex]pi[/tex])(dL/dr)

Homework Equations

Well, the magnetic energy is U = (1/2)I2L. F equals grad U. The circumference of a circle of radius r is 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r. We are assuming a constant current I and a deformable wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

The force that tends to increase the radius of the loop is F = (1/2)I2(dL/dr). My problem is that I am not sure how to relate this isotropic outward force to tension in the wire. If I have a wire loop, and I exert a "magical force" F that is a function of the radius of the loop r, F(r), what is the tension that develops in the loop?

T must be greater than (I2/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(dL/dr)
This is given. I can rewrite this with my force result to show that T must be greater than F / 2[tex]\pi[/tex].

I think I just need someone to talk to me about tensions in curves. I know I have a book that talks about this somewhere, but I can't find it. BTW this homework problem is from Wangness, Electromagnetic Fields 2nd edition, chapter 18 page 296.

Thank you!
(Please forgive me for the latex formatting issues)

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension T in a loop of wire is related to the force F that is applied to the loop. The tension is equal to the force divided by the circumference of the loop. In this case, the force is given as (1/2)I^2(dL/dr), so the tension must be greater than (I^2/4\pi)(dL/dr)/2\pi.

Related to Tension at which a loop of wire will break

What is the definition of tension?

Tension is the force that is applied to an object in order to stretch or pull it. It is usually measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How is tension related to the breaking of a loop of wire?

Tension is the force that causes the wire to stretch and eventually break. The higher the tension, the more likely the wire is to break.

What factors affect the tension at which a loop of wire will break?

The tension at which a loop of wire will break is affected by the thickness and material of the wire, as well as the amount of force applied to it.

What is the formula for calculating tension?

The formula for calculating tension is T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

How can tension at which a loop of wire will break be increased?

The tension at which a loop of wire will break can be increased by using a thicker wire, choosing a stronger material, or applying a greater force to the wire.