Tension and Newton's Second Law

In summary, when using a convention where positive is down, the maximum acceleration that the cable can give to the piano is -4.49 m/s2, meaning the piano can be accelerated upward at a rate of 4.49 m/s2. It is important to be consistent with the chosen convention throughout the problem.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A cable is being used to lift a 350 kg piano into a helicopter. The cable can exert a maximum force of 5000 N without breaking. What is the maximum acceleration that the cable can give to the piano?

Homework Equations

w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

w=?
a=?
m=350 kg
Tension=5000 N

w=mg
w=350kg(9.8 m/s2
w=3430 N

Fnet=ma
w-Fcable=ma
a=w-fcable /m
a=3430 N-5000 N / 350 kg

-1570/350 n/kg = -4.49 m/s2

Is this answer correct? The negative sign makes sense to me because when we used 9.8 as a positive number, we decided that down was the negative direction. I'm not really sure how quickly a piano can be lifted, but 4.49 seems a bit slow. Can anyone critique?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gravity pulls mass down. using 9.8 N/kg as positive is calling _down_ as positive. so up is negative.

Correct, I interchanged my words accidentally. Thanks! So is my answer correct?

Medgirl314 said:
Correct, I interchanged my words accidentally. Thanks! So is my answer correct?

It looks good to me (ignoring any sign/direction nuances). :approve:

Thanks! The sign in the end is correct, right?

it can be accelerated upward almost half as quickly as it would fall .
... it is more common (traditional among Engineers) to call up as positive.

Medgirl314 said:
Thanks! The sign in the end is correct, right?
It is correct if you use the positive is down convention.

In general, there is no "correct" convention to use (negative being up or positive being up). It's your choice (unless your instructor tells you otherwise).

The general idea is that you pick a convention at the beginning, and then stick with it for consistency throughout the problem.

In this particular case, you started by treating the force of gravity mg = 3430 N as positive. Since the force of gravity is down, you assigned down as positive at that point.

Had you instead intended on down being negative, you would append on negative sign on your gravitational force. [Edit: And also treat the 5000 N force from the cable as positive instead of negative.]

The important part is not which convention you use, but rather consistency. Once you pick a convention you must stick with it consistently though the final answer.

Thank you both for your answers! Thanks for the explanation, collinsmark. I think my question was really if I was consistent. I thought so, but I wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks again! :)

it helps to show the positive direction on your diagram "+→" , or "←+" .

I did, but I still don't really understand where the confusion is. Is the negative sign in my answer okay?

Thanks!

Medgirl314 said:
I did, but I still don't really understand where the confusion is. Is the negative sign in my answer okay?

Thanks!
Yes, it's correct. But to clear up any confusion, write on your paper somewhere that positive is down (or negative is up). You can do this with an arrow and '+' sign as lightgrav suggests.

Then for your final answer, don't include the negative sign, but instead say "4.49 m/s2 up." (In other words, give the magnitude and direction of the acceleration. 4.49 m/s2 is the magnitude and "up" is the direction.) :wink:

Likes 1 person
Thank you! That seems to be a much simpler way.

Related to Tension and Newton's Second Law

1. What is tension and how does it relate to Newton's Second Law?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, string, or other object that is being pulled or stretched. It is directly related to Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the tension in a rope, the greater the force being applied to the object at the other end of the rope, resulting in a greater acceleration.

2. How is tension calculated in a system?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. This equation takes into account the force of gravity on the object as well as the additional force causing the acceleration.

3. Can tension ever be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. Since tension is a force, it is always a positive value. A negative value would indicate that the force is acting in the opposite direction, which would no longer be considered tension.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a system?

The tension in a system can be affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the angle at which the rope or string is being pulled. The greater the mass and acceleration, the greater the tension will be. Additionally, the angle at which the rope is pulled can affect the tension by changing the direction of the force being applied.

5. How does tension play a role in everyday life?

Tension is present in many everyday activities, such as tying a knot, pulling a wagon, or lifting something with a rope. It is also an important concept in engineering and construction, as it is necessary to consider the tension in different materials to ensure structural stability. Understanding tension also helps us to understand the forces at play in sports, such as pulling on a rope in a game of tug-of-war.