Tension and Fundamental frequency

In summary, the conversation discussed the determination of the fundamental frequency of a uniform wire with a constant magnitude AC current at various tensions. A graph was plotted showing the relationship between T1/2 and length (l) of the wire when the fundamental frequency was found. The question was raised on how the data on the graph, including the gradient, would be affected by using a wire of smaller diameter, increasing the current, or using a DC current of the same magnitude. It was noted that using a DC current would not result in any fundamental frequency as no standing wave is formed. However, further information about the experiment is needed for a more comprehensive answer.
Big-Daddy
The fundamental frequency of a uniform wire with an AC current of constant magnitude was found at various different tensions and a graph of (T1/2,l) was plotted (l was the length between the two nodes of the wire when the fundamental frequency was found). How would the data on the graph (including gradient) be affected by a) using a wire of smaller diameter, b) increasing the current or c) using a DC current of the same constant magnitude?

I've already written down how far I got (in terms of the experiment which I set up and decided to plot with that graph) but I really don't know how to start with this question. I know that c), using a DC current would yield no results of fundamental frequency as no standing wave is formed at all. Any help appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you expect any responses you might have to describe the experiment more fully.

Related to Tension and Fundamental frequency

1. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is applied to an object, such as a string or a spring, to stretch it or compress it. It is measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds.

2. How does tension affect the fundamental frequency of a string?

Tension has a direct relationship with the fundamental frequency of a string. As tension increases, the fundamental frequency also increases. This means that the string will produce a higher-pitched sound.

3. What is fundamental frequency?

The fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency at which a string or other object can vibrate. It is also known as the first harmonic or the first resonant frequency.

4. How is tension related to pitch?

Tension is directly related to pitch. As tension increases, the pitch of the sound produced by the string also increases. This is because the higher tension causes the string to vibrate at a faster rate, producing a higher frequency and a higher-pitched sound.

5. How does tension affect the quality of a sound?

Tension can affect the quality, or timbre, of a sound by changing the overtones produced by the string. Higher tension can result in a brighter or more metallic sound, while lower tension can result in a softer or more mellow sound.