Templates/Samples/Shortcuts for LaTeX equations

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter boderam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, if you're a Mac user looking for a comprehensive file of examples of LaTeX equations for PDE, Matrices, ODE, Analysis, Algebra, etc., you can refer to the standard LaTeX Cheat Sheet or use a different editor like LyX or WinEDT. You can also try finding an old version of TeXaide for easier copy-pasting of equations. Otherwise, you can create your own document with frequently used equations for easier reference.
boderam
I'm a Mac user and I'm looking for some sort of file where I could refer to a bunch of examples of LaTeX equations from PDE, Matrices, ODE, Analysis, Algebra etc. like

Code:
\frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi (x,t) = H \psi

So I could do more cutting and pasting as opposed to writing everything out by hand. The LaTeX editors offer panels to shortcut for symbols, but I would find a text file of lots and lots of examples more useful, especially with things involving sums and integrals where it gets quite tedious to be pointing and clicking so much. Easier to have completed examples and tweak them. Anyone know where I can find a really comprehensive file with the above in mind? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the standard Latex Cheat Sheet:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latexcheat/latexcheat/latexsheet.pdf

But as for copy-pasting / form-filling in equations (probably like the Office Equation Editor), you may be better off using a different editor, say, something like LyX or WinEDT.

The guys that made Equation Editor (Design Science) used to have a free [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] exporter (which had the same front-end as their commercial application) called TeXaide--you'd enter your equation, and then it'd spit out the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] code for said equation. It's been discontinued, but you can probably find an old version floating out there.

Aside from that, you could start up another document, and just paste in equations that you find yourself using quite frequently.

Related to Templates/Samples/Shortcuts for LaTeX equations

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for equations?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used for creating scientific and mathematical documents. It is particularly useful for equations because it has a wide range of features and symbols specifically designed for mathematical notation. It also allows for precise formatting and consistent layout of equations, making them easier to read and understand.

2. Where can I find templates or samples for creating LaTeX equations?

There are several resources available online for finding templates and samples for LaTeX equations. Some popular options include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and GitHub. Additionally, many scientific and mathematical journals provide templates for authors to use when submitting their papers.

3. Are there any shortcuts or commands to make writing LaTeX equations easier?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and commands that can make writing LaTeX equations quicker and more efficient. For example, the "\frac" command can be used to create fractions, and the "\sqrt" command can be used to create square roots. It is helpful to familiarize yourself with these shortcuts to save time when writing equations.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my LaTeX equations?

Yes, LaTeX allows for a high level of customization when it comes to the appearance of equations. You can change the font, size, color, and spacing of your equations using various commands and packages. You can also use templates or create your own custom styles to achieve a specific look for your equations.

5. Is there a limit to the complexity of equations that can be created with LaTeX?

No, there is no limit to the complexity of equations that can be created with LaTeX. It is a powerful typesetting language that can handle even the most intricate mathematical notation. With the right knowledge and use of packages, you can create equations with multiple variables, symbols, and formatting options.