Temperatures Required for Explosive Expansion of Air?

In summary, the minimum temperature required for an explosion in air to be generated through air expansion cooling itself is between 20,000 Kelvin and 300,000 Kelvin. The energy and other factors also play a significant role in the destructiveness of the explosion. Continuous release of energy would not be effective as it would either not form a blast wave or blow off the atmosphere too quickly.
dannystone
Hello, I was wondering what would be the minimum temperature required for a (powerful enough to be somewhat damaging to most unarmoured and/or lightly armoured objects) explosion in air to be generated via the air expanding to cool itself, similar to how a nuclear weapon works.

The best answers I have been able to figure out are;

around 20,000 Kelvin, this is roughly the temperature in a bolt of lightning, generating thunder, and in some cases a small shockwave has done somewhat negligable damage to nearby objects, although of course, most lightning damage is due to the enormous current and temperatures involved.

--

Several Million Kelvin, the temperatures in a modern nuclear weapon, of course, these temperatures are overkill, and definitely not the minimum I'm trying to find.

---

300,000 Kelvin, roughly the temperature in the fatman and little boy bombs, due to their relative inefficiency and low power, but still plenty damaging enough by any means.

So it would seem between 20,000 Kelvin and 300,000 kelvin, would be about right, of course the amount of energy is also important, and probably other factors (for the sake of the simplicity, I'm assuming the air is at standard atmospheric temperature and pressure at sea level). so what are they, and how significant are those factors?

Also, all of these examples are very brief, what would happen if I heated it slowly, but not slowly enough for the heat to dissipate? And would happen if I heated it just as rapidly as a lightning bolt or an atomic weapon does, but then continued to heat it? Would it generate a sustained overpressure?

Science news on Phys.org
dannystone said:
Would it generate a sustained overpressure?
I certainly hope that you're not actually going to try this.
Anyhow, it's impossible to have a sustained overpressure. One of the first and most destructive aspects of an explosion is the vacuum created at ground zero because all of the air was expelled in the first instant.

Temperature is energy, or, more correctly, density of energy. If you heat a given volume of gas with a particular amount of energy, you get a very particular temperature. And a very particular pressure, too. The destructiveness of exploding gas is usually expressed in its overpressure (diff with normal atmospheric pressure), 1 bar considered enough to cause serious damage. Obviously, as the blast wave advances, its overpressure decreases, so what is important is the overpressure at a given radius from the epicenter. Given that, one can compute how much energy must be released initially.

Continuous release of energy would not be effective. If the flow is too small, then the blast wave will not form. If it is high, it will just "blow off" the atmosphere from the vicinity of the release point, so very soon there will be nothing to create the blast wave from.

Related to Temperatures Required for Explosive Expansion of Air?

1. What is the temperature range for explosive expansion of air?

The temperature range for explosive expansion of air is between -104°F (-76°C) and 932°F (500°C). This range is known as the autoignition temperature or the temperature at which air can spontaneously ignite and cause an explosion.

2. Why is temperature important for explosive expansion of air?

Temperature is important for explosive expansion of air because it affects the energy and pressure of the air molecules. At higher temperatures, the air molecules have more energy and move faster, creating a higher pressure and increasing the likelihood of an explosion.

3. What happens to air when it reaches the autoignition temperature?

When air reaches the autoignition temperature, it begins to undergo rapid exothermic reactions, causing it to expand rapidly and creating a shock wave. This shock wave can cause damage and potential explosion.

4. Can other factors besides temperature affect the explosive expansion of air?

Yes, other factors such as pressure and concentration of oxygen can also affect the explosive expansion of air. Higher pressures can increase the likelihood of an explosion, while lower oxygen concentrations can decrease the likelihood.

5. How can we prevent the explosive expansion of air?

To prevent the explosive expansion of air, it is important to control and monitor the temperature, pressure, and oxygen levels in environments where air may be present. Proper ventilation and safety protocols should also be followed to reduce the risk of an explosion.