Temperature of gas in a cluster

In summary, a gas cluster is a group of gas molecules held together by intermolecular forces. Its temperature can be measured using various methods and is affected by factors such as the number of molecules, intermolecular forces, and external factors. The temperature can impact the properties of the gas cluster, such as its pressure, volume, and phase. Studying the temperature of gas clusters has various applications in scientific research and industrial processes.
physgeek2033
TL;DR Summary
I am just trying to parse the following together:
The following link states that: "since kT ~ mpv2. A typical velocity dispersion 700 km/s implies T ~ 6 x 107 K from this source alone."

How did they get 6*10^7K ?

When I try this, using mp = 1.67*10^-27 , k =1.38*10^-23 I end up getting 84 as a final answer, nowhere near 6*10^7. Can anyone clarify this? https://pages.astronomy.ua.edu/keel...o the temperature associated with the cluster

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Check your work. Plugging in ##\frac{m_p v^2}{k}## gives me about ##6*10^7##.
Remember to convert 700 km/s to m/s.

Related to Temperature of gas in a cluster

1. What is the temperature of gas in a cluster?

The temperature of gas in a cluster can vary depending on the type of cluster and its location. However, on average, the temperature can range from millions to tens of millions of degrees Kelvin.

2. How is the temperature of gas in a cluster measured?

The temperature of gas in a cluster is typically measured by observing the X-ray spectrum emitted by the gas. The shape and intensity of the spectrum can provide information about the temperature of the gas.

3. What causes the gas in a cluster to have such high temperatures?

The high temperatures of gas in a cluster are primarily due to the gravitational collapse of the cluster. As the gas is compressed, its particles gain kinetic energy and the temperature increases.

4. Can the temperature of gas in a cluster change over time?

Yes, the temperature of gas in a cluster can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as mergers with other clusters, interactions with galaxies, and energy input from active galactic nuclei.

5. How does the temperature of gas in a cluster affect the evolution of the cluster?

The temperature of gas in a cluster plays a crucial role in its evolution. It affects the rate of star formation, the dynamics of the gas, and the overall structure of the cluster. The temperature also determines how the cluster interacts with its surroundings.