Temperature of gas between window panes

In summary: I tried doing something like this:\frac{q}{A}=\frac{k}{A}\frac{\Delta T}{L}\frac{\Delta Q_1}{\Delta T_1}=\frac{\Delta Q_2}{\Delta T_2}\frac{q}{A}=\frac{k}{A}\frac{\Delta T}{L}\frac{\Delta Q_1}{\Delta T_1}=\frac{\Delta Q_2}{\Delta T_2}\frac{q}{A}=\frac{k}{A}\frac{\Delta T}{L}\frac{\Delta Q_1
Rugile

Homework Statement

A double paned window consists of two glasses and a gap between them. The inner glass is d1 = 6mm thick, the gap is D = 16mm thick and the outer glass is d2=4mm thick. The inside temperature (by the inner glass) is T1=23°C and the outside temperature is T2=-10°C. What is the temperature of the gas in the gap? Glass conductivity is k=0.96 W/(m*K)

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = kA\frac{\Delta T}{L}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing something like this: since we don't know area or time, but they are the same to both of the glasses, expressing them from the euation and then equating might work. But that's where I'm stuck: [itex]\frac{\Delta Q_1 d_1}{\Delta T_1 k} = \frac{\Delta Q_2 d_2}{\Delta T_2 k}[/itex]. Not sure what to do next .. Also, there might be a trick that we don't know what is the gas between the glasses - it's not necessarily air..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rugile said:

Homework Statement

A double paned window consists of two glasses and a gap between them. The inner glass is d1 = 6mm thick, the gap is D = 16mm thick and the outer glass is d2=4mm thick. The inside temperature (by the inner glass) is T1=23°C and the outside temperature is T2=-10°C. What is the temperature of the gas in the gap? Glass conductivity is k=0.96 W/(m*K)

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = kA\frac{\Delta T}{L}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing something like this: since we don't know area or time, but they are the same to both of the glasses, expressing them from the euation and then equating might work. But that's where I'm stuck: [itex]\frac{\Delta Q_1 L_1}{\Delta T_1 k} = \frac{\Delta Q_2 k_2}{\Delta T_2 k}[/itex]. Not sure what to do next .. Also, there might be a trick that we don't know what is the gas between the glasses - it's not necessarily air..
Let q be the total rate of heat flow. For the first glass, [tex]ΔT_1=\frac{qd_1}{k_1A}[/tex]. What is the equation for the temperature change across the second glass layer? Assuming that the resistance to heat transfer of the gas is negligible (a highly questionable assumption), how are ΔT1 and ΔT2 related to the total temperature change (23 - (-10)) = 43? Use this to solve for q/A.

Chestermiller said:
Let q be the total rate of heat flow. For the first glass, [tex]ΔT_1=\frac{qd_1}{k_1A}[/tex]. What is the equation for the temperature change across the second glass layer? Assuming that the resistance to heat transfer of the gas is negligible (a highly questionable assumption), how are ΔT1 and ΔT2 related to the total temperature change (23 - (-10)) = 43? Use this to solve for q/A.

Is the rate of heat flow the same for both of the glasses? If so, I get the answer (T-temperature of the gas) [itex]\Delta T_1 = T_1 - T; \Delta T_2 = T-T_2 => T=\frac{T_1 d_2 + T_1 d_1}{d_2 + d_1}[/itex].
And if we don't assume that the heat transfer is negligible, I guess there's no solution then?

Rugile said:
Is the rate of heat flow the same for both of the glasses? If so, I get the answer (T-temperature of the gas) [itex]\Delta T_1 = T_1 - T; \Delta T_2 = T-T_2 => T=\frac{T_1 d_2 + T_1 d_1}{d_2 + d_1}[/itex].
And if we don't assume that the heat transfer is negligible, I guess there's no solution then?
The rate of heat flow is the same for both the glasses. Whatever heat flow goes through one glass has nowhere else to go but through the other. It's like an electric current flowing through two resistors in series. The temperature is like the voltage.

Please show your work. I'd like to see the details of what you did.

If you don't assume that the resistance to heat transfer through the gas is negligible, then you need to know the thermal conductivity of the gas to solve the problem. In that case, you treat the gas as just another layer in the stack, and there will be 3 ΔT's that you add up.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The rate of heat flow is the same for both the glasses. Whatever heat flow goes through one glass has nowhere else to go but through the other. It's like an electric current flowing through two resistors in series. The temperature is like the voltage.

Please show your work. I'd like to see the details of what you did.

If you don't assume that the resistance to heat transfer through the gas is negligible, then you need to know the thermal conductivity of the gas to solve the problem. In that case, you treat the gas as just another layer in the stack, and there will be 3 ΔT's that you add up.

Chet

That's what I did:
[itex]\Delta T = \frac{qd}{kA} =>\frac{q}{A}=k\frac{\Delta T}{d}[/itex]. Since both q and A are the same for both glasses, [itex]\frac{q}{A} = k\frac{\Delta T_1}{d_1} = k\frac{\Delta T_2}{d_2}[/itex]. From what I've written before (what equals delta T1 and T2, we get [itex]\frac{T_1 - T}{d_1} = \frac{T- T_2}{d_2} => T=\frac{T_1 d_2 + T_1 d_1}{d_2 + d_1}[/itex]

Rugile said:
That's what I did:
[itex]\Delta T = \frac{qd}{kA} =>\frac{q}{A}=k\frac{\Delta T}{d}[/itex]. Since both q and A are the same for both glasses, [itex]\frac{q}{A} = k\frac{\Delta T_1}{d_1} = k\frac{\Delta T_2}{d_2}[/itex]. From what I've written before (what equals delta T1 and T2, we get [itex]\frac{T_1 - T}{d_1} = \frac{T- T_2}{d_2} => T=\frac{T_1 d_2 + T_1 d_1}{d_2 + d_1}[/itex]
Check the subscripts in you last equation. One of those T's should be a T2.

Yes, I'm sorry - [itex]T=\frac{T_1 d_2 + T_2 d_1}{d_1 + d_2}[/itex]. Is this equation right?

Rugile said:
Yes, I'm sorry - [itex]T=\frac{T_1 d_2 + T_2 d_1}{d_1 + d_2}[/itex]. Is this equation right?
Yes.

Likes 1 person

Related to Temperature of gas between window panes

1. What causes the gas between window panes to have a different temperature?

The gas between window panes typically has a different temperature because it has a lower thermal conductivity compared to the surrounding air. This means that it is less able to conduct heat, resulting in a difference in temperature.

2. How does the temperature of the gas between window panes affect energy efficiency?

The temperature of the gas between window panes plays a crucial role in energy efficiency. If the gas has a lower temperature, it will be less able to conduct heat and therefore provide better insulation for the window. This can help to reduce energy loss and improve energy efficiency in a building.

3. Can the temperature of the gas between window panes change over time?

Yes, the temperature of the gas between window panes can change over time. Factors such as changes in outside temperature, exposure to sunlight, and air leakage can all affect the temperature of the gas. Regular maintenance and proper sealing can help to maintain a consistent temperature.

4. How does the temperature of the gas between window panes impact condensation?

The temperature of the gas between window panes can impact condensation by affecting the dew point. If the gas is too cold, it can cause condensation to form on the inside surface of the window. This can be prevented by maintaining a consistent temperature and reducing air leakage.

5. What is the ideal temperature for the gas between window panes?

The ideal temperature for the gas between window panes will vary depending on the climate and location of the building. In general, the temperature should be lower than the outside temperature to provide better insulation. However, it should not be too cold to cause condensation. Consult a professional for the best recommendation for your specific location and needs.