Temperature given a ratio of power out/power in

In summary, Jupiter's average temperature must actually be 90K, as it emits twice as much energy per second as it receives from the Sun and its emission rate is proportional to the fourth power of its real temperature of its clouds. This is due to heat productive processes inside the planet that cause it to emit more energy. The equation Pemission =const*T^4=2*Pabs can be used to calculate the actual temperature of the planet's cloud tops.
elmers2424

Homework Statement

Statement: If Jupiter emitted just as much energy per second (as infared radiation) as it receives from the Sun, the average temperature of the planet’s cloud tops would be about 107 K. Given that Jupiter actually emits approximately twice this much energy per second, calculate what the average temperature must actually be.

Homework Equations

I am given an example that T(Jup.) = 103 K, the temperature of the planet as a total blackbody is T = 127 K, and therefore
[T(observed)/T(calculated)] ^ 4 = Power out/ Power in

In this specific example then, I have... [127/103]^4 = 2.3 which means that Jupiter emits 2.3 times the power than it absorbs

The Attempt at a Solution

How am supposed to go about this problem. First, I thought that if I make Tcalc = 107 K and set (Tobs./107)^4 = 1 (from the first part of the statement), then I can calculate Tobs. and use it. This would mean that To must be 107 too.

Then, if I plug (107/Tcalc)^4 = 2 (for twice as much energy/s) my Tcalc will come out to approximately 90K.

Is this all i need to do? 90K does not seem right to me. Suggestions would help me tremendously! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The emitted energy per unit time is proportional to the forth power of the body. It is the same as the absorbed power in equilibrium, and this power would correspond to 107 K.
Pabs= const*1074

Jupiter is not in thermal equilibrium as there are heat productive processes inside it. Because of this processes, it emits twice as much energy as it absorbs. Its emission rate is proportional to the fourth power of the real temperature of its clouds.

Pemission =const*T4=2*Pabs.

ehild

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of a planet's energy balance. A planet's temperature is determined by the balance between the energy it receives from its star (power in) and the energy it emits into space (power out). In the case of Jupiter, the statement tells us that it emits twice as much energy as it receives from the Sun. This means that the power out is 2 times the power in.

To calculate the actual temperature of Jupiter's cloud tops, we can use the equation T(observed)/T(calculated) = (power out/power in)^1/4. We know that T(calculated) = 107 K from the given statement. Plugging in the values, we have (T(observed)/107)^4 = 2. This gives us T(observed) = 152 K.

Therefore, the average temperature of Jupiter's cloud tops is approximately 152 K, which is higher than the calculated temperature of 107 K due to the extra energy emitted by the planet. This makes sense as Jupiter is a gas giant and its atmosphere is able to trap and retain more heat compared to smaller, rocky planets like Earth.

In conclusion, the key to solving this problem is understanding the energy balance of a planet and using the given information to calculate the actual temperature.

Related to Temperature given a ratio of power out/power in

What is the "ratio of power out/power in" in regards to temperature?

The ratio of power out/power in is a measure of how much energy is being emitted or transferred compared to how much is being input or absorbed. In the context of temperature, it is often used to calculate the efficiency of a system or measure the amount of heat being produced.

How does the ratio of power out/power in affect temperature?

The ratio of power out/power in can have a direct impact on temperature, as it represents the amount of energy being transferred. For example, a higher ratio can result in a higher temperature, while a lower ratio may lead to a lower temperature.

What is the relationship between the ratio of power out/power in and temperature?

The relationship between the ratio of power out/power in and temperature can vary depending on the specific system or process. In general, a higher ratio often corresponds to a higher temperature, while a lower ratio may result in a lower temperature.

How is the ratio of power out/power in calculated?

The ratio of power out/power in is calculated by dividing the power output by the power input. This can be measured in various units, such as watts, joules, or BTUs. The resulting value represents the efficiency or effectiveness of the system in converting input energy into output energy.

Can the ratio of power out/power in be used to predict temperature changes?

Yes, the ratio of power out/power in can be used to estimate or predict changes in temperature. By analyzing this ratio and understanding the relationship between power and temperature, scientists can make predictions about how a system or process will behave and how it will affect the surrounding environment.