Temperature coefficient of resistance

In summary, the copper rod has a resistance of 0.25 ohms at 15 degrees Celsius, and 0.2125 ohms at 60 degrees Celsius. The temperature coefficient of resistance is 0.0043/degree Celsius at 10 degrees Celsius.
DevonZA

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1. A copper rod, 100 mm long and 2.5mm diameter, has a resistance of 340micro ohms at 15degrees Celsius. If the rod is drawn out into a wire of uniform diameter 0.5mm, calculate its resistance at 60 degrees Celsius. Assume the temperature coefficient of resistance to be 0.0043/degree Celsius at 0 degrees Celsius.

2. R1/R2=1+alpha0xt1/1+alpha0xt2

3. (340 uohm)(L2/L1) / (R2/R1)^2
= (340 uohm)(2500/100)(2.5/0.5)^2 = 0.2125 ohms.
Then use the temperature equation:
R = (0.2125 ohm)(1 + 0.0043*45) = 0.25 ohms

^^ This is an answer that I found online but I don't know where the person got the 2500 value for L2 from?

The answer given in the textbook is R=0.251ohms

Thanks,
Devon.

Physics news on Phys.org
DevonZA said:
where the person got the 2500 value for L2 from?
when you draw the given wire into another wire of different diameter the length of the wire changes, you can find out the new length of the wire by taking constant volume, i do have my doubts though,( because of the change in temperature).

Suraj M said:
when you draw the given wire into another wire of different diameter the length of the wire changes, you can find out the new length of the wire by taking constant volume, i do have my doubts though,( because of the change in temperature).

Could you provide an example?

Oh ok.
if i take a cylinder of length 4m and diameter 1m, if i now recast the cylinder into a new cylinder of diameter 2m, find the length of the new cylinder..
do this by considering volume as a constant,
Do you have a formula for volume of a cylinder!?

Last edited:
V=pir^2h

V=pi(0.5)^2(4)
=pi

pi=pi(1)^2h
pi/pi=h
h=1

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent! now why don't you apply the same to your question?
Ignore the resistances for a while, we'll deal with it later!
also we are assuming that 10°C is quite less and we're ignoring the change in volume..
PS: Please refrain from using such language :smile:

Related to Temperature coefficient of resistance

What is the temperature coefficient of resistance?

The temperature coefficient of resistance is a measure of how much the resistance of a material changes with temperature. It is usually denoted by the symbol α and is expressed in units of ohms per degree Celsius (Ω/°C).

How is the temperature coefficient of resistance calculated?

The temperature coefficient of resistance can be calculated by taking the change in resistance (ΔR) and dividing it by the change in temperature (ΔT). This can be expressed as α = (ΔR/ΔT).

What is a positive temperature coefficient of resistance?

A positive temperature coefficient of resistance means that as the temperature increases, the resistance of the material also increases. This is commonly seen in metals and semiconductors.

What is a negative temperature coefficient of resistance?

A negative temperature coefficient of resistance means that as the temperature increases, the resistance of the material decreases. This is commonly seen in some types of thermistors and certain semiconductors.

How does temperature coefficient of resistance affect electronic devices?

The temperature coefficient of resistance is an important factor in the design and performance of electronic devices. It can impact the accuracy and stability of components such as resistors and thermistors, and can also affect the overall efficiency and reliability of electronic circuits.