Temperature and Thermal Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between temperature and thermal energy, with the latter referring to the total internal energy of a system while temperature is the average kinetic energy. It is explained that a runner generates thermal energy while maintaining a constant temperature, indicating a transfer of heat to the surroundings. The question then asks for three methods of energy transfer other than evaporation, which can be described as conduction, convection, and radiation.
Peter G.
Hi, :smile:

While running, a person generates thermal energy but maintain approximately constant temperature:

Distinguish between the terms: Temperature and Thermal Energy

I know temperature is a measure of the average Kinetic Energy of molecules but I always get confused when it comes to thermal energy. Could anyone try and help me with that? The problem lies in the fact it is usually explained by saying it is the energy involved in the interaction between two objects and since the question says the runner generates thermal energy...

The next question is a model (A closed container holds 70kg of water, representing the runner. The water is heated at a rate of 1200W for 30 minutes. This represents the energy generated by the heater) and it asks me to outline three methods, other than evaporation, by which the container in the model would transfer energy to the surroundings.

What should I do here? Try and outline the process of conduction, convection and radiation?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that thermal energy refers to the total internal energy (due to random motions/vibrations/rotations of atoms/molecules) as opposed to temperature, which is a description of the statistical average of those motions. The fact that the runner generates thermal energy yet maintains a constant temperature suggests that he or she is cooling by means of a transfer of heat to his/her surroundings. Therefore, some of the thermal energy ends up in the external environment.

You are right about the three typical mechanisms by which this heat transfer occurs, and I think the question is just asking you to describe each one.

Ok thanks. :smile:

Related to Temperature and Thermal Energy

What is the difference between temperature and thermal energy?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while thermal energy is the total energy of all particles in a substance, including their kinetic and potential energies.

How are temperature and thermal energy related?

Temperature and thermal energy are directly proportional. As temperature increases, so does the thermal energy of a substance.

What is the unit of measurement for temperature and thermal energy?

The unit of measurement for temperature is degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K), while the unit for thermal energy is joules (J).

How does temperature affect the physical properties of a substance?

Temperature can affect the physical properties of a substance, such as its density, volume, and state (solid, liquid, or gas).

What is the difference between heat and thermal energy?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object, while thermal energy is the total energy of all particles in a substance. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy.