Temperature and Kinetic Energy question

In summary, to find the average speed of oxygen molecules in a gas sample at a certain temperature, we can use the equation Ek= 3/2kT and the mass of an individual molecule (5.3 x 10^-26 kg) to calculate the average kinetic energy. However, since the sample is assumed to be an ideal gas, we cannot use the average kinetic energy to directly calculate the average speed. Instead, we can use the ideal gas law and the density of the sample (4.0 x 10^-3 g cm^-3) to find the molar mass of the gas and then use it to calculate the average speed using the equation Ek= 1/2mv^2.
9giddjl

Homework Statement

At a certain temperature a sample of oxygen has a pressure of 2.0 x 10^6 Pa, and a density of 4.0 x 10^-3 g cm^-3. Find the average speed of the oxygen molecules of the gas.

Homework Equations

Ek= 3/2kT
Ek= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the mass of oxygen is 32 g per mole so with this i could find the mass of an individual molecule= 32 g/ 6.02 x 10^23 g
=5.3 x 10^-26 kg
I know P= 2.0 x 10^6 Pa

I just don't understand what to do with the density? can somebody please help me, any help would be much aprpeciated:)
Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should assume that the sample is an ideal gas.

You can't compute the average speed form the average kinetic energy, as that would yield the the average of squared velocity and then taking the squre root does not give you the average of the absolute value (modulus) of the velocity.

Related to Temperature and Kinetic Energy question

What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is typically measured in units of degrees Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F).

How is temperature related to kinetic energy?

Temperature and kinetic energy are directly proportional. This means that as the temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the particles also increases.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of temperature, it refers to the energy of the individual particles within a substance as they move and vibrate.

What factors affect temperature and kinetic energy?

The temperature and kinetic energy of a substance can be affected by factors such as the amount of heat added or removed, the type of particles in the substance, and the amount of pressure applied to the substance.

How is temperature measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer or other temperature-sensing device. These devices work by detecting changes in the physical properties of a substance, such as its expansion or electrical resistance, which are related to temperature.