Temp rise due to hammering nails

• Thread starter Bradracer18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rise
In summary, the conversation revolves around estimating the temperature rise of a 14 gram iron nail after being struck by a hammer with a speed of 6.5m/s in ten quick succession. The hammer's kinetic energy is transferred to the nail, resulting in thermal energy. The formula used is Q=mc(change in T) and the final answer is 40.24 degrees Celsius. The specific heat of iron is also mentioned as a key factor in the calculation.
Bradracer18
Here's my question...

The 1.20 kg head of a hammer has a speed of 6.5m/s just before it strikes a nail and is brought to rest. Estimate the temperature rise of a 14 gram iron nail generated by ten such hammer blows done in quick succession. Assume the nail absorbs all the energy.

The picture shows a hammer hitting a nail with the swings being horizontal(as if you were nailing into a wall...not the floor).

So, I can't seem to get my formulas set to get past a certain point. This is what I've done so far(which is not much).

W= 4.186 J = 1 cal of heat
W = Fd
F=ma------where I get stuck...I've got velocity, but not acceleration.

Thanks for any help...I'd be glad to work it with some help...or maybe I can work it a little further until I get stuck again(if I do).

Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
How much kinetic energy does the hammer possesses before it hits the nail? What happens to that energy?

Ok...well I kinda see where you are going, but still need a bit more direction.

KE=1/2mv^2

KE(hammer)=25.35 J -----So I think this energy is now transferred into the nail, with some lost to heat?? Or, do I have to recaculate the KE for the nail(using its mass)?

I'm also not real sure how this energy(J) is going end up giving me a temp measurment...will I eventually relate it to the specific heat of iron?

Thanks again and I'll keep working...

Brad

Bradracer18 said:
So I think this energy is now transferred into the nail, with some lost to heat?? Or, do I have to recaculate the KE for the nail(using its mass)?
What's the speed of the nail after you hit it with a hammer? (Hint: Nothing to calculate.)

I'm also not real sure how this energy(J) is going end up giving me a temp measurment...will I eventually relate it to the specific heat of iron?
Absolutely.

The speed of the hammer would be directly transferred to the nail...so it would be 6.5m/s. With that in mind(and the nails mass), I found KE(nail)=.296 J

Do I multiply 10 swings into both the KE of the nail and the KE of the hammer?? I'm thinking I do, it just seems obvious. Then I'm thinking I have to Joule measurements...so then do I multiply them both by the specific heat of iron...and add them together to obtain a final amount of heat created?

Thanks again!

Bradracer18 said:
The speed of the hammer would be directly transferred to the nail...so it would be 6.5m/s.
No! You bang a nail into the wall, does it goes shooting through the wall? (Let's hope not.) No, when the hammer hits, the nail moves a bit, then hammer and nail both stop. The KE of the nail is zero. (That's why I said there is nothing to calculate. :smile: )

All of the KE of the hammer gets absorbed by the nail as thermal energy.

Ok...that does make sense, as I think of it more and more.

So, now I am thinking that I multiply my KE(hammer) by 10 swings to find total KE. Then do I use an equation similar to U(internal energy) = N(1/2mv^2)...where N is number of molecules?? This doesn't seem like the right equation though. Also, I can't yet understand why they gave me the mass of the nail(and maybe that is for later in the problem).

[tex] \frac{1}{2} m v^2 = mc \theta[/tex]

Last edited:
Bradracer18 said:
So, now I am thinking that I multiply my KE(hammer) by 10 swings to find total KE.
Right.

Then do I use an equation similar to U(internal energy) = N(1/2mv^2)...where N is number of molecules?? This doesn't seem like the right equation though.
It's not. Think specific heat of iron, which you mentioned earlier. (You'll need the mass of the nail.)

Ok, well I am thinking this now.

KE(total) = 253.5 J

Q = mc*(change in T)

Change in T = Q/mc

253.5 J * .014 Kg * 450 J/Kg*deg C = 40.24 deg C

Even close?

yeah I knew they did heat up...as I used to frame houses/apartment buildings for a few yrs...

nevermind...ha...just noticed the problem was odd, so I checked it in the back, and I have the correct answer!

Thanks a ton Doc Al!

Brad

Related to Temp rise due to hammering nails

What is the relationship between the temperature rise and hammering nails?

The temperature rise is directly related to the energy exerted while hammering nails. The more energy that is transferred to the nails, the higher the temperature will rise.

Why does the temperature rise when hammering nails?

When a nail is hammered into a surface, kinetic energy is converted into heat energy due to friction between the nail and the surface. This leads to a rise in temperature.

How much does the temperature rise when hammering nails?

The temperature rise will vary depending on factors such as the material of the nail and surface, the force and speed of hammering, and the duration of hammering. Generally, it can range from a few degrees to several degrees.

Does the temperature rise affect the strength of the nails?

Yes, the temperature rise can affect the strength of the nails. High temperatures can weaken the metal and make it more prone to bending or breaking. It is important to consider the temperature rise when choosing the appropriate nails for a project.

Can the temperature rise due to hammering nails be controlled or minimized?

Yes, the temperature rise can be controlled or minimized by using techniques such as lubricating the nails before hammering, using a lower impact force, and taking breaks to allow the nails to cool down. Additionally, selecting materials that are less prone to temperature rise can also help control it.