Tell me how string theory works and about extra dimensions in (laymen terms)

In summary, Iv'e scene the documentary about string theory and i just have a few questions about it. The documentary discusses how string theory contributes to a unified field theory and the possible implications that could have. It also discusses how string theory could mean that matter is actually made of vibrationg strings, although there is no proof yet. Finally, the documentary discusses some of the impacts of string theory on our understanding of physics.
Riot09
Iv'e scene the documentary about string theory and i just have a few questions about it.(laymen terms) :

1.How does string theory contribute to a unified field theory?

2.Is matter really made of "vibrationg strings"?

3.What does string theory actually mean or what has been the impact of string theory to our understanding of physics.

thankyou for reading this and your'e contributions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please pick up any popular science textbook on string theory

also visit this page: http://www.fysast.uu.se/teorfys/sv/content/mysteries-universe-strings-branes-and-mysterious-m

you have more links at the end of that article, enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
1.How does string theory contribute to a unified field theory?

Lots of debate possible here: the interesting feature that originally launched string theory was the discoverey of a massless spin two particle within the theoretical math for other forces ...that's characteristic of the graviton so it was thought one mathematical framework might describe gravity,other particles, melding general relativity and quantum mechanics. The math is perturbative
(approximate) which is bad, because it has not all been figured out yet, but elongated strings eliminate the infinities associated with point particles...making "unification" of GR and QM a possibility...tantalizing but as yet unfulfilled.

2.Is matter really made of "vibrationg strings"?

No experimental proof yet. I guess it's still a possibility.

3.What does string theory actually mean or what has been the impact of string theory to our understanding of physics.
Lots of insights, new mathematics, new ways of thinking, new ideas about extra dimensions and their possible impact on particles and the world we do observe. No conclusive answer to how space and time transforms, but some ideas via "T duality". The standard model does not explain why particles and forces have the values they do; string theory offers a possible explanation according to vibrational energy patterns..but is not conclusive so far.

Last edited:
Non professional trying to imagine what others talking about, so I picture a geometry with implicit forces in my mind. Seems to work and predict what others discovered. I predicted Sun has a hole in it and the Earth is hollow, and they are connected by the quickest time, before I learned to access computer. Posted The Ontological Matter, is it bull? Real interest Bicameral Mind, Neurohologram, The Lost Ark

I predicted Sun has a hole in it and the Earth is hollow, and they are connected by the quickest time,

Both are most dense at the center..sorry.

Related to Tell me how string theory works and about extra dimensions in (laymen terms)

1. What is string theory and how does it explain the universe?

String theory is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into one cohesive theory. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations determine the properties of the particles we observe and interact with in our everyday lives. String theory also includes the concept of extra dimensions, which are dimensions beyond the three we experience (length, width, and height). These extra dimensions are necessary for the mathematical consistency of the theory and help explain the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How do extra dimensions play a role in string theory?

In string theory, there are typically 10 dimensions - three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) and one time dimension that we experience in our everyday lives, along with six extra dimensions that are hidden from our perception. These extra dimensions are thought to be compactified, meaning they are curled up and too small for us to observe directly. However, they play a crucial role in the behavior of particles at the quantum level and help explain some of the mysteries in our universe.

3. Can you explain the concept of compactification in string theory?

Compactification is a process in string theory where the extra dimensions are curled up and made too small to be observed directly. This is necessary for the mathematical consistency of the theory, as without compactification, the equations would not work. Think of it like a balloon that is deflated - it appears as a two-dimensional surface, but when it is inflated, it becomes three-dimensional. In the same way, the extra dimensions in string theory are compactified and hidden from our perception, but they still play a crucial role in the behavior of particles.

4. How does string theory differ from other theories in physics?

String theory differs from other theories in physics in several ways. Firstly, it is a unified theory that aims to explain all four fundamental forces, while other theories only explain one or two. Additionally, it proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny strings. This is a departure from traditional particle physics, which has focused on point-like particles. Lastly, string theory includes the concept of extra dimensions, which is not present in other theories. These extra dimensions help resolve some of the issues and inconsistencies in other theories.

5. Is there any evidence for string theory and extra dimensions?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for string theory or extra dimensions. However, there are some indirect pieces of evidence, such as the existence of supersymmetry and the fact that string theory can potentially unify all four fundamental forces. There are also ongoing experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, that are searching for evidence of string theory. However, it is a highly complex and mathematical theory that is still being developed and tested, so more research and evidence is needed before it can be confirmed.