Technique to identify amorphous phases

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for analyzing a sample with both crystalline and amorphous phases. X-ray diffraction and EELS, along with EDX and SEM, are mentioned as potential methods for identifying and quantifying the amorphous phase. Various resources and articles are suggested for further information on quantitative phase analysis.
claudionico
Hi everyone!

I want to ask if anyone knows a technique that could analyze a sample, with crystalline and amorphous phases, and in some way that I could identify and/or quantify the amorphous phase (atomic elements and/or stoichiometry).

I read that could be a way using EELS technique, but from what I know of EELS I can't understand how...

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Technique to identify amorphous phases

1. What is the purpose of identifying amorphous phases?

The purpose of identifying amorphous phases is to determine the structure and composition of a material. This information can be used to understand the properties and behavior of the material, as well as to optimize its production processes.

2. What is the difference between amorphous and crystalline phases?

Amorphous phases have a disordered atomic arrangement, whereas crystalline phases have a regular and repeating atomic structure. This difference in structure leads to differences in the physical and chemical properties of the material.

3. What techniques are commonly used to identify amorphous phases?

X-ray diffraction, infrared spectroscopy, and solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) are commonly used techniques to identify amorphous phases. These methods can provide information about the atomic structure, chemical composition, and bonding of the material.

4. How does the presence of amorphous phases affect the properties of a material?

The presence of amorphous phases can significantly affect the properties of a material. For example, amorphous phases may have different mechanical, thermal, and optical properties compared to crystalline phases of the same material. This can impact the functionality and performance of the material in various applications.

5. Can amorphous phases be intentionally created or controlled?

Yes, amorphous phases can be intentionally created or controlled through various methods such as rapid cooling, mechanical processing, or chemical synthesis. These techniques can be used to tailor the properties of the material for specific applications or to enhance its overall performance.