Technical Knowledge of Technologists in Rock n Roll Bands

In summary, Rock n roll performance bands often have technicians who help with the equipment, and this can include electric guitars, amplifiers, and various devices used with them. These technicians may learn how to do repairs and modifications on the fly, depending on the size of the band.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
The mid-end and high-end rock n roll performance bands have technical people or technologists to help with equipment (electric guitars, amplifiers, and variety of devices used with them; modifications, and repairs). Exactly what do these technical know, and how do they learn it? There have been some brief YouTube videos showing some of these technical people in their professional relations with their members' performers, but nothing too deep are presented in these videos. This makes me curious.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It probably depends. I mean, Tom Scholz of Boston has an engineering degree from MIT. He's pretty good with his equipment (which he designed). In terms of the other people working on the equipment, I don't know anyone who does that professionally, but my former guitar teacher could fix any amp or guitar problem out there, and he was a P.E. teacher. I believe he learned most of it online.

There are a lot of resources out there for musicians who want to repair their own equipment. I imagine, and this is anecdotal from being around musicians, that a lot of it is online lessons and trial and error more so than, say, a formal education.

I have done some paid guitar tech work. For bands big enough to afford a local guitar tech at each location but not big enough to pay for a full time, traveling tech.
For live tech work it's really just restringing and tuning. Repairs and modifications are generally not done in the heat of the moment, you just pass a backup guitar.
Though there are some guitar techs who are much more involved and perform all the live effects and amp switching for the guitarist, I think the Edge's tech is one. Premier guitars 'rig rundown' shows some complex systems of pro players. There's a lot of work involved in maintaining something like that, particularly where there's fickle, 50 year old tube amps etc.

I learned by building, playing and fixing guitars. There are lot's of great books & websites on the topic. I've found books by Dan Erlewine and Melvin Hiscock, and projectguitar.com good resources. AFAIK there are no formal courses on the topic, though I've seen short workshops offered by luthiers from time to time.

Related to Technical Knowledge of Technologists in Rock n Roll Bands

What is the significance of technical knowledge in the music industry?

Technical knowledge is crucial in the music industry, especially for technologists in rock n roll bands. It allows them to create and produce high-quality music, perform live shows flawlessly, and effectively use equipment and technology to enhance their sound.

What technical skills are necessary for technologists in rock n roll bands?

Technologists in rock n roll bands should have a strong understanding of music theory and musical instruments, as well as proficiency in recording and sound engineering software. They should also be familiar with different types of equipment, such as amplifiers, microphones, and effects pedals.

How does technical knowledge impact a rock n roll band's live performances?

A rock n roll band's live performances heavily rely on technical knowledge. It allows them to set up and operate equipment, adjust sound levels, and troubleshoot any technical issues that may arise during the show. Without technical knowledge, a band's live performance may suffer and sound unprofessional.

Can technologists in rock n roll bands also be musicians?

Yes, many technologists in rock n roll bands are also talented musicians. They often have a deep understanding of music and use their technical knowledge to enhance their performance and sound. Some may even play multiple instruments and contribute to the songwriting process.

How can a technologist in a rock n roll band continue to improve their technical skills?

To continue improving their technical skills, technologists in rock n roll bands can attend workshops and seminars, take online courses, and network with other professionals in the industry. They can also experiment with new equipment and software and constantly seek to learn and adapt to new technologies.