How Old are You? - Revisiting an Old PFs Thread

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Bubonic Plague Nah, hopefully I'm a bit wiser now than I was years agoI agree, Bubonic Plague. I'm glad that I'm able to learn and grow even as I get older.
Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
Whats there to appreciate? Childhood is a totalitarian regime, all we ever do is get ordered around by "wise" adults.

I'd like to correct the adage "Wisdom comes with age", instead it should be "Ego comes with age".

i think you have quite an ego for whatever age you are for claiming that those who get older get a bigger ego...i suspect you are still a child yourself for believing this about childhood and adulthood, if you are an adult stating this, then i suspect you to be just plain ignorant...

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you have quite an ego for whatever age you are for claiming that those who get older get a bigger ego

I apologize for collateral damage and if i had been too harsh and crude with my words. Sorry.

i suspect you are still a child yourself for believing this about childhood and adulthood

Pherhaps you went through a different childhood from mine, so you disagree with my views, but ultimately this is what i think childhood is, relative to my experiences. My views will no doubt change with time. But these are the views i currently hold.

I'm 33, and unlike many of you, I hope to get much older. I think it beats the only other alternative.

-----

I really wish all the little kiddies (under 25) would show some respect. They really must try to be good little kids; it's their duty. I mean, really, what do they want, us to earn their respect? I didn't make all those mistakes for my own benefit, I made them so that I could tell you what to do and what not to do! Really!
April fool...

Originally posted by Another God
I have always been curious, but this zeal for learning has only really been a recent thing for me. I wish I did this sort of stuff (Reading as much as I can, PF, things like that) when I was 13, 14 etc. If i had started back then, then Jeeze...what would I know now.

Majin, Mentat...I got to stay in contact with you two =) As you get older, you will find that you are leaps ahead of everyone else when you get to uni. Not necessarily top marks getters (though probably), but simply knowledgeable. You will be able to think for yourselves, you will have insights, and novel ideas... It'd be great to start out at uni like that. I've learned it in my time here, and am only just this year really able to apply it...

I thank you. I'm not sure that I'm going to college/uni., but if you think I'd do well (having actually been there, yourself) I might consider it.

Mentat, do what ever you must to get through college. I never finished. While I have about 150 credit hours in varying disciplines, I've still have no degree.

Of course, if you want to skip that whole college thing, you can come live with me in the trailer park.

Let see, go to college, get a well paying job, live in a nice house, or live with Alias in the trailer park. Hmmmm. Tough decision.:wink:

I'm 14, and its kind anoying. Too many mood swings.

I have to agree with J Man..I too am 33(I couln't remember! Man that is bad!) and I am enjoying every second of it! I can't wait to see what life is going to be like in 5 years! It will be awesome I'm sure!

On many forums i am 15 :) like this one, in my user profile, but really i am 19, tho my birthday is not march 18 either :)

I'm 20.

I can remember my younger days when I considered most adults rather lacking in the area of common sense, just by observing their actions in certain situations.

Now that I'm older, I still think the same thing. However, I've come to a realization that such people DO deserve respect...until they prove to me otherwise. Kinda like benefit of the doubt.

The older a person is has little to do with their knowledge or lack thereof. But the highly touted "wisdom" is a tangible, real thing, and the only way to gain in wisdom is to live life and learn from experience. Knowledge can be gained in my ways and at varying speeds. But wisdom comes almost exclusively from life experience.

My two cents ;)

Considering

I'm physically 19. Mentally, I'd say around 5.

Originally posted by MacTech
On many forums i am 15 :) like this one, in my user profile, but really i am 19, tho my birthday is not march 18 either :)

So, why don't you register as your actual age?

19 years 133 days + some unassorted seconds...

Originally posted by Considering
I'm 20.

I can remember my younger days when I considered most adults rather lacking in the area of common sense, just by observing their actions in certain situations.

Now that I'm older, I still think the same thing. However, I've come to a realization that such people DO deserve respect...until they prove to me otherwise. Kinda like benefit of the doubt.

The older a person is has little to do with their knowledge or lack thereof. But the highly touted "wisdom" is a tangible, real thing, and the only way to gain in wisdom is to live life and learn from experience. Knowledge can be gained in my ways and at varying speeds. But wisdom comes almost exclusively from life experience.

My two cents ;)

Considering

I agree with that. I felt the same way when I was a teenager. Now I'm 23 and life experience has bring me more wisdom.

I am 21.

It's great to see so many young highly intelligent people on at these forums.

At 33 (well on April 8th) I would hope that I have gained some wisdom. I thought I was wise at 15. That's why I left school and went to work. That's why I never did any homework and didn't absorb any of the Mathematics that teachers tried to teach. I knew what was important. Now I'm not so sure what's important. I know I have regrets about decisions I made but as the saying goes, the more you know, the more you don't know. I'm a youth worker by trade and if I was going to be completely honest, a damn fine one. Why, because I know I don't know everything. Others in my field 'know' they have wisdom. I hope when I talk to younger people and use examples about my own experiences, or give advice, that they can take something from it. Regardless of what you think now, you will feel the same way. You may have ideas about how your future will unfold and the person that you will be, but life doesn't work like that. Relationships will be made and broken, you will hurt people and they will hurt you. You will make mistakes that haunt you when you go to sleep and you will have restless nights, abuzz with the pleasures that the day brought you. You will plan how you raise your children then, when it happens, throw all the ideas out the window. You will have emotions that you think will never end and later they will seem like a fleeting moment. Don't close yourself off to the idea that you are not different and possibly more wise with every passing day. I wouldn't wish that for you. When I see a 13 year old and a 40 year old who are emotional peers I don't see a 13 year old with the wisdom of a 40 year old, I see a 40 year old with the wisdom of a 13 year old. You could read 10 textbooks a day for ten years and you couldn't learn about yourself what you could learn by living for one.

There are many here that at a very early age, showing great intelligence. Far more than I can say I have. Intelligence is applied book learning. Wisdom is applied life learning. There are no shortcuts to either. I've still got a ways to go with both.

Raavin

Well said Raavin. (I'm 42 by the way)

:wink:

Originally posted by Another God
I have always been curious, but this zeal for learning has only really been a recent thing for me. I wish I did this sort of stuff (Reading as much as I can, PF, things like that) when I was 13, 14 etc. If i had started back then, then Jeeze...what would I know now.

Majin, Mentat...I got to stay in contact with you two =) As you get older, you will find that you are leaps ahead of everyone else when you get to uni. Not necessarily top marks getters (though probably), but simply knowledgeable. You will be able to think for yourselves, you will have insights, and novel ideas... It'd be great to start out at uni like that. I've learned it in my time here, and am only just this year really able to apply it...

I always get top marks. And I'm usually teacher's pet (i'm trying not to, but I am one in my computer and math classes). Anyway, I want to go for a double PhD in physics and engineering (not sure what kind, but what do you think sounds most challenging, computer or electrical?). I'll teach part time and get a job (sooner or later) at the Institute For Advanced Study in New Jersey(Mietner, Einstein, Planck worked there!). And I have other plans, but I don't want to bore anyone with them...

Originally posted by Psyber freek
I'm 14, and its kind anoying. Too many mood swings.

you know, I actually enjoy these mood swings. It makes me feel like a normal, cool teen. But my mood swings are usually mild (unless I get grounded from pfs like last week for spending 4 hours here ).

Really, reeeeally well stated/said

Origianlly stated by Raavin

When I see a 13 year old and a 40 year old who are emotional peers I don't see a 13 year old with the wisdom of a 40 year old, I see a 40 year old with the wisdom of a 13 year old. You could read 10 textbooks a day for ten years and you couldn't learn about yourself what you could learn by living for one.

(Bows, in silent respect)

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
you know, I actually enjoy these mood swings. It makes me feel like a normal, cool teen. But my mood swings are usually mild (unless I get grounded from pfs like last week for spending 4 hours here ).

Most of the time I don't enjoy mood swings. One minute I'm my normal self, then after a little while I'm extremely happy for some reason, and then after another 10 minutes, I'm down in the dumps.

By the way, an online test said that my mental age is 32! Argh! I'm an old man! I'm mentally almost mummyfied! :DDDDD

Originally posted by Baikonur
By the way, an online test said that my mental age is 32! Argh! I'm an old man! I'm mentally almost mummyfied! :DDDDD

But some of us mummyfied people are pretty darn smart!

There are still a few that haven't responded, so I just figured I'd give them the chance to (by putting this back on the first page).

Originally posted by Mentat
There are still a few that haven't responded, so I just figured I'd give them the chance to (by putting this back on the first page).

Im 28 this month and 29 in Aug. I feel like i am 21 though, the greatest age to be ever. old enough to drink, chase older women and VOTE! Good thread
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

I am approaching 30 in some numbering system but I forget which one.

I am approaching 30 in some numbering system but I forget which one...did I say that?

Originally posted by Dx
Im 28 this month and 29 in Aug. I feel like i am 21 though, the greatest age to be ever. old enough to drink, chase older women and VOTE! Good thread
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

LOL

Thanks, btw.

...15... (and happily awaiting summer)

Thank you, kyleb. I have spent my entire life (seriously, this was one of my first conscious thoughts) trying to prove that the fact that someone was older didn't make them smarter. I have also learned that it doesn't make them wiser (no matter what anyone says), because wisdom = applied knowledge; so age doesn't bring wisdom, it just brings more chances to develop wisdom.

amen, mentat! I've always felt that the only difference between the adult and the child is a higher vocabulary to better translate the feelings/thoughts they are having. (for some even the vocabulary doesn't apply. :wink:

I will be 35(hex) this month.

I turned 56 in March, but I haven't noticed aging that much.

Just a couple of comments on what the younger folks have said here about age. I agree that being older doesn't necessarily mean wiser, but I believe "young" definitely means not wise. I think that because to me wisdom is the result of experience combined with having aged with a desire to learn and grow as a human being.

A young person can certainly be more intelligent and dedicated to learning/growing than an adult; if fact, children generally are when they have adequate opportunities, and are unspoiled by dictatorial, abusive, doting or inattentive parents. But the one thing they cannot possibly do without aging is acquire broad life experiences; and without experience, no wisdom. It's all theory for them, and kids are always full of theories about how much better they are going to do it than the adults are now doing it. That's just the bravado of a generation safely fed and housed, with plenty of time to complain about that for which they aren't yet responsible.

Yet it is also true that aging tends to set people in their ways and make them opinionated, which in turn results in not wanting to learn much. I think much of this is from people falling victim to, and surrendering to, conditioning. There's another major force kids haven't had to survive; it is not a breeze to spend thirty or forty years subject to the powers that be and not lose at least part of one's consciousness to conditioning. It's easy for you (kids) to talk big now, but let's see how you do over the long haul (I was part of the hippie generation, and boy did we talk big).

While aging may petrify many adult minds, it isn't true for everyone. Those adults who fight off conditioning, and who energetically pursue knowledge, goodness, service to humanity, personal growth, and maybe even Truth, may just achieve a bit of wisdom.

Last edited:
Originally posted by maximus
amen, mentat! I've always felt that the only difference between the adult and the child is a higher vocabulary to better translate the feelings/thoughts they are having. (for some even the vocabulary doesn't apply. :wink:

Amen to that last part, as I've - on many occasions - lost the most patronizing of adults in my sesquipedalianistic speech ("sesquipedalianism" is the use of big words, btw).

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
Just a couple of comments on what the younger folks have said here about age. I agree that being older doesn't necessarily mean wiser, but I believe "young" definitely means not wise.

Ouch. You mean to say you haven't found a bit of wisdom in anything I've every posted?

I think that because to me wisdom is the result of experience combined with having aged with a desire to learn and grow as a human being.

However, if one's desire to learn and grow as a human being far outweighs that of the one who has had more time to do so, would not the first one be wiser?

A young person can certainly be more intelligent and dedicated to learning/growing than an adult; if fact, children generally are when they have adequate opportunities, and are unspoiled by dictatorial, abusive, doting or inattentive parents. But the one thing they cannot possibly do without aging is acquire broad life experiences; and without experience, no wisdom.

I disagree. As I've said before, a good (though not perfect) definition of "wisdom" is "applied knowledge/understanding". This means that an older person may have had more time to acquire "wisdom", but a younger person may have actually taken the opportunity, while the older one may have missed it.

So kids, how about a little respect just in case the relic you want to lecture might be one of those antique few who actually know something.

Forgive me, if I offended in any way.

The older I get, the more I realize how little I know, and even how much less I used to know. Believe me all ye of youth, you have a lot to learn. In the same way, I still take advice and wisdom from my parents and in-laws. Nothing can provide the understanding gained through experience. Many people confuse wisdom with knowledge. There is a big difference. :smile:

Ouch. You mean to say you haven't found a bit of wisdom in anything I've every posted?

I will answer that with every ounce of honesty I can muster. I've thought you have spoken with exceptional insightfulness for someone so young.

But be careful not to claim wisdom prematurely. Look at some of the young geniuses of humanity who have early on demonstrated their brilliance, but never attained wisdom. I think in some cases early brilliance can make one focus too much on the intellect and not enough on developing as a balanced human being.

However, if one's desire to learn and grow as a human being far outweighs that of the one who has had more time to do so, would not the first one be wiser? . . . As I've said before, a good (though not perfect) definition of "wisdom" is "applied knowledge/understanding". This means that an older person may have had more time to acquire "wisdom", but a younger person may have actually taken the opportunity, while the older one may have missed it.

But see, this is a sign of non-wisdom; that is, being in too much of a hurry to achieve something that takes a lifetime. Even Socrates required 3 or more times as many years of living as you to attain wisdom.

IMO, wisdom isn't a matter of being smarter than all the stupid adults you can find. I don't believe it is a "relative" thing, but rather something that comes after being a well-rounded explorer of life. Unless one has lived long enough to explore the many avenues of life, then how can one be wise?

You know, there is an old saying that wisdom never guides those who think they have it. Why not be content to declare yourself a genius :wink: but stay away from claiming precious wisdom so it is free to draw you towards itself.

Forgive me, if I offended in any way.

Of course you haven't. But I do see an opportunity for kids to come here and not give enough weight to their lack of experience. I don't agree with the tactic of someone condescending based on age, education, or anything else (which does go on here). We should all reason with evidence and logic, and may the best thinker prevail!

By the same token, each of us have to weigh our experience and those we interact with. I still make the mistake of not listening as much as I should when I'm out of my area of expertise.

Last edited: