Teaching physics in a community college

In summary: No, I have not taught a class on my own before. I am confident I can do it, but it would be a lot of work. Teaching a class on my own is a lot different than doing it as a TA. It's a lot harder to prepare and manage a class on your own. I think it would be a lot of work and I'm not sure I'm prepared for it.
sabq
As a new PhD in physics I am exploring all the options I have. It seems like teaching in a community college is rewarding, relaxed, and well paying (given that you are at certain parts of the country). Anybody taught at community college a full time instructor?

How was it?
How busy were?
Do you have time for family and personal activities during the week?
I have been looking at CC in California and they pay very well. Are they hard and competitive to get?

Feedback is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I never have. I have worked as a tutor at quite a few for many years. I believe the positions are extremely hard to get. Its a great job with high pay and benefits. Naturally they get lots of applicants, there are few available positions and often the available positions are for benefitless, part time temporary work. The schools I have worked at have a floor on the salary they are allowed to pay for a full time teacher. Since they can't afford that they just hire part time. They won't let you haggle for less money to get a full time position. I would love the job, but the positions are few and I only have a Master's and can't compete against the PhDs.

Does the school you are looking at actually have an opening for a full time teacher?

Thanks!
Yes, there are openings every now and then. For example, Irvine Valley College has an opening but they want at least two years of experience which I don't have. I will apply but not sure I will get it. BTW: why do you say you can't compete with PhDs? It doesn't seem to matter since the ability and commitment to teaching is what matters.

Can you spin your various TA duties into some experience? Thats what I did when I applied to such jobs. I never had full time teaching experience, but I had lots of part time tutoring, lab leading and lecturing as a TA experience. Of course I never got the job either so... :P

Try Cypress college where I go, it's a pretty good school I think with a lot of good and friendly physics faculty

Woopydalan said:
Try Cypress college where I go, it's a pretty good school I think with a lot of good and friendly physics faculty

Do they have an opening? I have not seen one.

Those jobs are going to get hundreds of qualified applicants. If you do get the job, you'll be teaching 5 classes a semester. Have you ever taught a class on your own before? Prep for even one new class is a ton of work, let alone five, and that's not counting the grading, teaching, office hours, and labs.

who knows, but a number of the faculty have master degrees and not PhD, so maybe you are even more qualified than the already hired faculty? I know one of the professors retired last year and I'm not sure if he has been replaced

Related to Teaching physics in a community college

1. What qualifications do I need to teach physics in a community college?

To teach physics in a community college, you typically need at least a master's degree in physics or a related field. Some community colleges may also require a teaching certification or prior teaching experience.

2. What type of coursework do I need to have taken to be qualified to teach physics in a community college?

In addition to having a degree in physics or a related field, you should have taken a variety of physics courses, including introductory and advanced courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics. You should also have a strong foundation in mathematics and be familiar with current teaching methods and technologies.

3. What teaching methods are used in community college physics courses?

Community college physics courses typically use a combination of lectures, labs, and hands-on activities to help students understand and apply key concepts. Many also incorporate online resources and interactive simulations to enhance the learning experience.

4. Are there opportunities for research and professional development in community college physics teaching?

Yes, community college physics teachers can engage in research and professional development opportunities to stay current in their field and enhance their teaching skills. This can include attending conferences, collaborating with other educators, and participating in workshops and training programs.

5. What types of students will I be teaching in a community college physics course?

Community college physics courses typically have a diverse mix of students, including those who are pursuing a degree in a science-related field, as well as those who are taking the course as an elective or to fulfill a general education requirement. Some students may also be returning to school after being in the workforce, and others may be non-traditional students with different learning styles and backgrounds.