Power factor at half power points for RLC circuit

This makes the complex power, P, purely real. The actual current is what you stated, but we only need the magnitude of the current in this analysis. The way I did it avoids an extra step. If you want to use the actual current, then you have to go through the extra step and make sure you use the correct angle for the current. But the final result will be the same.
Loki
Can anyone help me with this homework problem? I worked it through, but the answer i get doesn't agree with the answer the book gives. I'll include my work, and if anyone can help, I'll be eternally grateful, at least for a while.

The Problem:

In a series RCL circuit the dissapated power drops by a factor of two when the frequency of the generator is changed from the resonant frequency to a nonresonant frequency. The peak voltage is held constant while this change is made. Determine the power factor of the curcuit at nonresonant frequency.​

My Work:

[tex]P_r = 2 P_{nr}[/tex]
[tex]P = I * V * \cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]\phi = \arctan \frac{X_L - X_C}{R} [/tex]
At resonant frequency, [itex]X_L - X_C = 0[/itex]
[tex]I * V * \cos ( \arctan \frac{X_L-X_C}{R} ) = 2 * I * V \cos (\arctan\frac{X_L-X_C}{R})[/tex]
[tex]I * V * \cos ( \arctan (0)) = 2 * I * V \cos (\arctan\frac{X_L-X_C}{R})[/tex]
[tex]I * V * \cos (0) = 2 * I * V \cos (\phi)[/tex]
[tex] 1 = 2 \cos (\phi)[/tex]
[tex]\cos \phi = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

This seems correct to me, but the book says the answer is [itex]\frac{\sqrt {2}}{2}[/itex]

Am I mistaking the "Factor of two" part of the problem? Does this really mean that the power is squared?

If anybody can help, thanks. On a sidenote, LaTeX is very nice, if a bit tedious to write in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A complete solution is offered.

At resonance the current is in phase with the voltage source, and the power factor is 1. In that case the power dissipated is simply

##P_o = \frac{V^2}{R}~~~##where ##R## is the circuit resistance and ##V## the fixed voltage.

We are looking for the power factor for the situation where the dissipated power drops by a factor of two. That is,

## P = \frac{P_o}{2} = \frac{V^2}{2R}##

Off-resonance there will be a net reactance, X. We won't worry about the individual reactances of the inductance and capacitance, only their net effect. Let:

##Z = R + j X## be the impedance at the off-resonance frequency.

Then the complex power (apparent power) for the circuit is given by:

##p = V~I^* = V ⋅ \frac{V}{(R + jX)^*} = V^2 \frac{R + jX}{R^2 +X^2}##

where ##I^*## means the complex conjugate of ##I##.

Now, the real power dissipated is the real component of the complex power. Setting this equal to our desired value:

##\frac{V^2}{2R} = V^2 \frac{R}{R^2 +X^2}##

Solving for the reactance we find that ##X = R##. This means that the impedance has a value ##Z = R (1 + j)##, which has a phase angle of 45°. The current, which is V/Z will have an angle of -45°. The cosine of -45° is ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##, so that is the power factor.

Note that the reactance could be positive or negative (net inductive or net capacitive reactance), and that the power factor will be the same since ##~~~cos(-45°) = cos(45°) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##.

Likes gracy and cnh1995
Here's my two cents..
At resonance,
Pr=VIr..(cosΦ=1)
At non-resonant frequency,
Pnr=VInrcosΦ
But Pr=2Pnr
So,
VIr=2VInrcosΦ
∴Ir=2InrcosΦ
∴V/R=2*(V/Z)cosΦ
...(R remains same in both the cases)
∴Z/R=2cosΦ
Since R/Z is cos Φ, we can directly write,
2cos2Φ=1
∴cosΦ=1/√2=0.7071
(=√2/2 as given in the answer)

Likes gracy and gneill
Nice. That works. It's great to see variations!

Likes cnh1995
gneill said:
A complete solution is offered.

At resonance the current is in phase with the voltage source, and the power factor is 1. In that case the power dissipated is simply

##P_o = \frac{V^2}{R}~~~##where ##R## is the circuit resistance and ##V## the fixed voltage.

We are looking for the power factor for the situation where the dissipated power drops by a factor of two. That is,

## P = \frac{P_o}{2} = \frac{V^2}{2R}##

Off-resonance there will be a net reactance, X. We won't worry about the individual reactances of the inductance and capacitance, only their net effect. Let:

##Z = R + j X## be the impedance at the off-resonance frequency.

Then the complex power (apparent power) for the circuit is given by:

##p = V~I^* = V ⋅ \frac{V}{(R + jX)^*} = V^2 \frac{R + jX}{R^2 +X^2}##

where ##I^*## means the complex conjugate of ##I##.

Now, the real power dissipated is the real component of the complex power. Setting this equal to our desired value:

##\frac{V^2}{2R} = V^2 \frac{R}{R^2 +X^2}##

Solving for the reactance we find that ##X = R##. This means that the impedance has a value ##Z = R (1 + j)##, which has a phase angle of 45°. The current, which is V/Z will have an angle of -45°. The cosine of -45° is ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##, so that is the power factor.

Note that the reactance could be positive or negative (net inductive or net capacitive reactance), and that the power factor will be the same since ##~~~cos(-45°) = cos(45°) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##.

Why do you set ##I=\frac{V}{R-JX}## instead of ##\frac{V}{R+JX}## In other words, why use the complex conjugate and not Z as it is?

fahraynk said:
Why do you set ##I=\frac{V}{R-JX}## instead of ##\frac{V}{R+JX}## In other words, why use the complex conjugate and not Z as it is?
Because the complex power is given by ##P = V I^*##. See, for example: An Introduction to Electric Circuit Theory by G. Williams, section 5.8. Since the V that we are using here is purely real, the way to form the complex conjugate is to change the sign of the imaginary term in the impedance in the denominator.

What is power factor at half power points for RLC circuit?

Power factor at half power points for RLC circuit refers to the ratio between the real power and apparent power at the half power point of the circuit. It is a measure of how efficiently the circuit is using its power.

Why is power factor at half power points important in an RLC circuit?

Power factor at half power points is important because it indicates the efficiency of the circuit. A higher power factor means that the circuit is using its power more efficiently, while a lower power factor indicates that there is power loss in the circuit.

How is power factor at half power points calculated for an RLC circuit?

Power factor at half power points can be calculated using the formula PF = cos θ = R/Z, where PF is the power factor, θ is the phase angle, R is the resistance, and Z is the impedance of the RLC circuit at the half power point.

What is the significance of power factor at half power points in AC circuits?

In AC circuits, power factor at half power points is significant because it determines the voltage and current relationship in the circuit. A low power factor can lead to increased power loss and can also cause problems in the power distribution system.

How can the power factor at half power points be improved in an RLC circuit?

The power factor at half power points can be improved by adding power factor correction devices such as capacitors. These devices can help to reduce the reactive power and improve the power factor of the circuit.