Taylor's Inequality/Newton's Method (Tips, Please)

In summary, we can use Taylor's Inequality with n=1, a=x_n, and x=r to show that if f^{\prime \prime}(x) exists on an interval I containing r, x_n, and x_{n+1}, and \left|f^{\prime \prime}(x) \right| \leq M, \left|f^{\prime}(x) \right| \geq K for all x \in I, then \left| x_{n+1} - r \right| \leq \frac{M}{2K}\left| x_n - r \right| ^2. This means that if x_n is accurate to d decimal places,
DivGradCurl
Problem

Newton's method gives an approximation to a root [tex] r [/tex] of the equation [tex] f(x)=0 [/tex]. From an initial approximation [tex] x_1 [/tex] we obtain successive approximations [tex] x_2 , x_3 , \ldots ,[/tex] where

[tex] x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac{f(x_n)}{f^{\prime}(x_n)} [/tex]

Use Taylor's Inequality with [tex] n=1 [/tex], [tex] a=x_n [/tex], and [tex] x=r [/tex] to show that if [tex] f^{\prime \prime} (x) [/tex] exists on an interval [tex] I [/tex] containing [tex] r [/tex], [tex] x_n [/tex], and [tex] x_{n+1} [/tex], and [tex] \left| f^{\prime \prime} (x) \right| \leq M [/tex], [tex] \left| f^{\prime} (x) \right| \geq K [/tex] for all [tex] x \in I [/tex], then

[tex] \left| x_{n+1} - r \right| \leq \frac{M}{2K}\left| x_n - r \right| ^2 [/tex]

[This means that if [tex] x_n [/tex] is accurate to [tex] d [/tex] decimal places, then [tex] x_{n+1} [/tex] is accurate to about [tex] 2d [/tex] decimal places. More precisely, if the error at stage [tex] n [/tex] is at most [tex] 10^{-m} [/tex], then the error at stage [tex] n+1 [/tex] is at most [tex] \left( \frac{M}{2K} \right) 10^{-2m} [/tex] .]

Comments

I'm acquainted with Newton's method

[tex] x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac{f(x_n)}{f^{\prime}(x_n)} [/tex]

and Taylor's Inequality

[tex] \left| R_n (x) \right| \leq \frac{M}{\left( n+1 \right) !} \left| x-a \right| ^{n+1} \qquad \mbox{ for } \left| x-a \right| \leq d [/tex]

However, it's not clear to me how I can join those concepts. Here is what I tried to do (without success :cry:):

If

[tex] \int _{x_n} ^{r} f^{\prime \prime} (t) \, dt \leq \int _{x_n} ^{r} M \, dt [/tex]

[tex] f^{\prime} (r) - f^{\prime} (x_n) \leq M (r-x_n) [/tex]

[tex] f^{\prime} (r) \leq f^{\prime} (x_n) + M (r-x_n) [/tex]

Then

[tex] \int _{x_n} ^{r} K \, dt \leq \int _{x_n} ^{r} f^{\prime} (t) \, dt \leq \int _{x_n} ^{r} \left[ f^{\prime} (x_n) + M (t-x_n) \right] \, dt [/tex]

[tex] K (r-x_n) \leq f (r) - f(x_n) \leq f^{\prime}(x_n)(r-x_n) + \frac{M}{2} (r-x_n) ^2 [/tex]

I just need some tips. I probably am in the wrong direction.

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you consider the function [tex]g(x)=x-\frac{f(x)}{f^{'}(x)}[/tex], using Taylor's inequality. Note that [tex]R_n(x)[/tex] can be expressed as [tex]|x_{n+1}-r|[/tex]. Also, after differentiating g(x) once, you may need an estimate for |f(x)|. You may obtain such by noting that [tex]f(x)=\int^{x}_{r}f^{'}(y)dy[/tex]

Last edited:
This seems close, but I'm not 100% sure.

[tex] x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac{f(x_n)}{f^{\prime}(x_n)} \Longrightarrow r \approx x_n - \frac{f(x_n)}{f^{\prime}(x_n)} [/tex]

Let's rewrite that as follows

[tex] 0 = f(x_n) + f^{\prime}(x_n) (r-x_n) [/tex]

which is the first-degree Taylor polynomial approximation to [tex] r [/tex].

In order to gain further insight through Taylor's Inequality, we may find the second-degree Taylor polynomial approximation to [tex] r [/tex]. Thus, we have

[tex] 0 = f(x_n) + f^{\prime}(x_n) (r-x_n) + \frac{f^{\prime \prime}(x_n)}{2} (r-x_n) ^2 [/tex]

Then

[tex] 0 = \frac{f(x_n)}{f^{\prime}(x_n)} + (r-x_n) + \frac{f^{\prime \prime}(x_n)}{2f^{\prime}(x_n)} (r-x_n) ^2 [/tex]

[tex] 0 = -(x_{n+1}-x_n) + (r-x_n) + \frac{f^{\prime \prime}(x_n)}{2f^{\prime}(x_n)} (r-x_n) ^2 [/tex]

[tex] 0 = r - x_{n+1} + \frac{f^{\prime \prime}(x_n)}{2f^{\prime}(x_n)} (r-x_n) ^2 [/tex]

[tex] r - x_{n+1} = - \frac{f^{\prime \prime}(x_n)}{2f^{\prime}(x_n)} (r-x_n) ^2 [/tex]

[tex] \left| r - x_{n+1} \right| = \frac{\left| f^{\prime \prime}(x_n) \right|}{2\left|f^{\prime}(x_n)\right|} \left| r-x_n \right| ^2 [/tex]

[tex] \left| r - x_{n+1} \right| \leq \frac{M}{2K} \left| r-x_n \right| ^2 \Longleftrightarrow \left| x_{n+1} - r \right| \leq \frac{M}{2K} \left| x_n - r \right| ^2 [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Taylor's Inequality/Newton's Method (Tips, Please)

1. What is Taylor's Inequality?

Taylor's Inequality is a mathematical theorem that provides an upper bound for the error between a function and its Taylor polynomial approximation. It states that the error is equal to or less than the next term in the Taylor series, and this approximation becomes more accurate as the number of terms increases.

2. How is Taylor's Inequality used in calculus?

Taylor's Inequality is used to estimate the error in approximating a function using its Taylor polynomial. This is useful in calculus, particularly in numerical methods such as Newton's Method, where it allows us to control the accuracy of our solutions.

3. What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an iterative numerical method for finding the roots of a function. It involves using the tangent line at a given point on a function to approximate the root, and then repeating this process until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. How is Taylor's Inequality used in Newton's Method?

Taylor's Inequality is used in Newton's Method to determine an appropriate number of iterations to achieve a desired level of accuracy. By using Taylor's Inequality, we can estimate the error in our approximation and determine when to stop iterating to achieve a solution within a given tolerance.

5. What are some tips for using Taylor's Inequality and Newton's Method?

1. Start with a good initial approximation in Newton's Method to avoid convergence to the wrong root.2. Check the conditions for Taylor's Inequality to ensure it can be applied.3. Use a computer or calculator to perform the necessary calculations, as the computations can become tedious.4. Consider using a graph to visualize the function and its Taylor polynomial approximation.5. Be aware of the limitations of both methods, such as the need for a continuous and differentiable function for Newton's Method.