Taylor Series for Showing B_{x}(x+dx)-B_{x}(x) Approximation

In summary, the conversation is about using a Taylor series to approximate the expression B_x(x+dx,y,z)-B_x(x,y,z) and obtaining the desired result. The conversation also includes discussions on the notation style and the limitations of the approximation.
retupmoc
How do i show that B_{x}(x+dx,y,z)-B_{x}(x,y,z)\approx \frac{\partial B_{x}(x,y,z)}{\partial x} dx
using a Taylor series to the first term. Using a Taylor series does B(x) = B(a) + B'(a)(x-a)? In that case what would B(x+dx) be and how can i obtain the desired result from this? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What's all that crazy text? Meant for the notation style thing they have here? I can't read it worth a darn like it is o_O

Ye it was a poor attempt at it. Its supposed to be Bx(x+dx,y,z)-Bx(x,y,z)=dBx/dx dxdydz

I take it you mean [tex]B_x(x+dx,y,z)- B_x(x,y,z)= \frac{\partial B_x}{/partial dx}dxdydz[/tex]. I also assume that this is the x-component of a 3-vector.

You can't "prove" it- it's not true- except approximately which is what is intended here. The "Taylor series to the first term" is just the tangent approximation to Bx. Yes, at any given (x0, y0, z0) that is [tex]B_x(x_0,y_0,z_0)+ \frac{\partial B_0}{\partial x}(x_0,y_0,z_0)*(x- x_0)+ +\frac{\partial B_0}{\partial y}(x_0,y_0,z_0)*(y- y_0)+\frac{\partial B_0}{\partial z}(x_0,y_0,z_0)*(z- z_0)[/tex].

Now, evaluate that at (x,y,z)= (x0, y0, z0) and at (x,y,z)= (x0+ dx, y0, z0) and subtract.

Related to Taylor Series for Showing B_{x}(x+dx)-B_{x}(x) Approximation

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. It can be used to approximate the value of a function at a given point.

What does the notation Bx(x+dx) mean?

The notation Bx(x+dx) represents the value of the function B(x) at the point x+dx. This can be thought of as the next point on the function's curve after x.

What is the purpose of using a Taylor series for showing Bx(x+dx)-Bx(x) approximation?

The purpose of using a Taylor series for this approximation is to estimate the change in the value of the function B(x) between two points, x and x+dx. This is useful in situations where the function cannot be easily evaluated or where precise values are not necessary.

What are some applications of Taylor series for showing Bx(x+dx)-Bx(x) approximation?

Taylor series for this approximation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to estimate changes in physical quantities, predict future values of a variable, and model complex systems.

What are the limitations of Taylor series for showing Bx(x+dx)-Bx(x) approximation?

The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series and the interval between x and x+dx. In some cases, the series may not converge, or it may diverge and give incorrect results. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of functions.