Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the partition function for a system with two different cases: for when B=0 and for when B is non-zero. The calculation for B=0 yields a simple expression, while the calculation for non-zero B requires further evaluation of sums. The conversation also mentions the possibility of converting the sums into products of exponentials for easier evaluation.
Silicon-Based
Homework Statement
Compute ##Z## and ##\log{Z}## of a set of ##N## two-level systems with total energy specified by the given Hamiltonian by Taylor expanding in powers of ##B## to first and second order.
Relevant Equations
$$H(\{n_i\}) = A\sum_{i=1}^{N}n_i + B\sum_{i=1}^{N-1}n_i n_{i+1}$$
##n_i = 0, 1## for ##i = 1, ..., N##
For the case when ##B=0## I get: $$Z = \sum_{n_i = 0,1} e^{-\beta H(\{n_i\})} = \sum_{n_i = 0,1} e^{-\beta A \sum_i^N n_i} =\prod_i^N \sum_{n_i = 0,1} e^{-\beta A n_i} = [1+e^{-\beta A}]^N$$
For non-zero ##B## to first order the best I can get is:
$$Z = \sum_{n_i = 0,1} e^{-\beta(A\sum_{i=1}^{N}n_i + B\sum_{i=1}^{N-1}n_i n_{i+1})} \approx \sum_{n_i = 0,1} e^{-\beta A\sum_{i=1}^{N}n_i} \left[1-\beta B \sum_{i=1}^{N-1}n_i n_{i+1} \right]$$ $$=
[1+e^{-\beta A}]^N - \beta B \sum_{n_i = 0,1} \sum_{i=1}^{N-1}n_i n_{i+1} e^{-\beta A\sum_{i=1}^{N}n_i}
$$ At this point I'm not sure how to evaluate the sums. Obiously, the only case when the sums yield a non-zero contribution is when ##n_i = n_{i+1} = 1##, but I don't know what ##e^{-\beta A\sum_{i=1}^{N}n_i}## evaluates to in that case. Should this just be ##-\beta B (N-1) e^{-\beta A N}##? That doesn't seem like the right answer since I can't really evaluate ##\log{Z}## then.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like it would be easier to turn the sums in the arguments of the exponential into products of exponentials like you did in the ##B=## case. So you get
$$
Z = \prod_i \sum_{n_i = 0,1} \exp\left( - \beta A n_i - \beta B n_i n_{i+1} \right) \approx \prod_i \sum_{n_i = 0,1} \exp\left( - \beta A n_i \right) \left[ 1 - \beta B n_i n_{i+1} \right].
$$
Now the sum over ##n_i = 0,1## is straightforward, and the same idea applies to second-order in ##B##.

Related to Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian

1. What is a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function by breaking it down into a series of simpler polynomial terms. An Ising-like Hamiltonian is a specific type of mathematical model used to describe the behavior of physical systems, such as magnetic materials. Therefore, a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian is a series of polynomial terms used to approximate the behavior of a physical system described by this model.

2. Why is a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian useful?

A Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian allows us to approximate the behavior of physical systems described by this model, which can be extremely complex and difficult to solve exactly. This approximation can help us gain insights into the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their properties.

3. How is a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian calculated?

To calculate a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian, we use the Taylor series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the original function at a specific point and plugging them into the series. The more terms we include in the series, the more accurate our approximation will be.

4. What are the limitations of a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian?

One limitation of a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian is that it is only an approximation and may not accurately describe the behavior of a physical system in all cases. Additionally, as we include more terms in the series, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming.

5. What are some real-world applications of a Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian?

A Taylor expansion of an Ising-like Hamiltonian has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of magnetic materials and phase transitions. It is also used in statistical mechanics, quantum field theory, and other areas of theoretical physics to model and understand complex physical systems.