Taub-Nut or NUT metric, that is the question

• Thread starter Saeide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities and differences between NUT and Taub-NUT spacetimes. It is mentioned that NUT is a Schwarzschild solution with a complex mass parameter m + iℓ, while Taub-NUT was initially found as a cosmological solution. The NUT parameter is also discussed, and it is noted that there is also a Kerr-NUT solution that includes a Kerr parameter. A book recommendation is also provided for further reading on the subject.
Saeide
Hello,

We know that NUT spacetime is just like a massless rotating black hole, that this consideration introduces a new concept "magnetic mass", and I know just a little about its metric form and the parameters appear in it. While I was searching for NUT spacetime and its metric, I mostly found some papers about Taub-NUT spacetime. Are these two spacetimes different or the same? And if they are different what are the differences and similarities? And another question is that what is the differences between pure-NUT and NUT spacetime? And also I would like to know more about NUT parameter that we see in the metric and its behavior! I would appreciate if someone answer my questions or guide me to the texts related to this subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
NUT and Taub-NUT are one and the same. Taub found the solution first as a cosmological solution. The NUT solution was later shown to be the same. NUT may be thought of as a Schwarzschild solution with a complex mass parameter m + iℓ where ℓ is the NUT parameter. There is also a Kerr-NUT solution which adds the Kerr parameter a. All of these are Type D vacuum solutions.

So thanks, that was so helpful. I wonder how I didn't get it so far!

Related to Taub-Nut or NUT metric, that is the question

1. What is the Taub-NUT or NUT metric?

The Taub-NUT or NUT metric is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which describes the behavior of gravity in the presence of mass and energy. It is a mathematical model that describes the geometry of spacetime in the presence of a rotating mass, such as a black hole or a spinning star.

2. How does the Taub-NUT or NUT metric differ from other solutions in general relativity?

The Taub-NUT or NUT metric is unique because it includes a parameter known as the NUT parameter, which stands for Newman-Unti-Tamburino. This parameter describes the rotation and mass of the object, and it allows for the metric to have a "twist" in its geometry, which is not seen in other solutions.

3. What are the applications of the Taub-NUT or NUT metric?

The Taub-NUT or NUT metric has many applications in theoretical physics, such as in the study of black holes and gravitational waves. It has also been used in the field of cosmology to study the large-scale structure of the universe and in the development of new theories of gravity.

4. How was the Taub-NUT or NUT metric discovered?

The Taub-NUT or NUT metric was first discovered in 1962 by Alfred Schild and Ernst Taub, who were studying solutions to Einstein's field equations. It was later refined by Roy Kerr and Ezra Newman, who introduced the NUT parameter to the metric. Since then, it has been the subject of much research and continues to be studied in various fields of physics.

5. Can the Taub-NUT or NUT metric be observed in real life?

While the Taub-NUT or NUT metric has been used to describe real-life phenomena, such as black holes and spinning stars, it cannot be directly observed. This is because the metric describes the behavior of gravity in the presence of extreme mass and energy, which is not currently possible to observe or replicate in experiments.