Prove Voltage should be linear function of position

Solve that for Vl and you have the voltage when x= L.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between voltage and wire length in a physics lab experiment. It is noted that the voltage is a linear function of length, with a slope of 1.3594. The voltage at the entire length of the wire is represented as Vl and can be solved for by setting the equation (Vl - Vin)/L = 1.3594, where Vin is the battery voltage and L is the wire length. This can be used to express the answer in terms of L, Vin, and any numerical or physical constant.
avs
Giving that: V(x)=Cx
Express the answer in terms of wire length L, battery voltage Vin the variable x and any numerical or physical constant. C should equal to 1.3594 which is the slope of my volage vs distance graph.

This is what i got so far. Not sure if it is correct.
V=iR -> V=(i*(rho)*L)/A so therefore my C is i(rho)/A and L=x

Am i going in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, obviously C = Vin/L.
So V(x) = Vin*x/L.
I can't see what for you need the numerical value, or a graph.
Is this really college level?

Last edited:
yea it's for a physics 2 lab.

I'm puzzled by your titling this "Prove Voltage should be linear function of position" and then imediately saying "Giving (Given?)that: V(x)=Cx"

If the problem is to prove something, then you wouldn't be "given" it!

Since this is for a physics LAB, I suspect that you were asked to measure voltage versus length of wire in the laboratory, then graph the data. "Proving" (not in the mathematical sense) that voltage is a linear function of length is just a matter of observing that the points tend to lie along a line.

Since you say that you have already done that and found that the slope of the line is 1.3594, you know that you can write V(x) as
V(x)= 1.3594x+ V0 (V0 is the voltage when x= 0. If I understand your experiment correctly, that should be Vin.)

You are asked to "Express the answer in terms of wire length L, battery voltage Vin the variable x and any numerical or physical constant."

Okay, what is the voltage when x= L, then entire length of the wire?
If you call that Vl, then you should have (Vl- Vin)/L= slope= 1.3594.

What is the relationship between voltage and position?

The relationship between voltage and position is that voltage is a linear function of position, meaning that as the position increases, the voltage also increases in a constant and predictable manner.

Why should voltage be a linear function of position?

Voltage should be a linear function of position because it follows Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is directly proportional to current and resistance. In a linear relationship, any increase in position will result in a corresponding increase in voltage, making it easier to calculate and predict.

How can we prove that voltage is a linear function of position?

We can prove the linear relationship between voltage and position by conducting experiments and collecting data. By measuring the voltage at different positions and plotting the data on a graph, we can observe a straight line, indicating a linear relationship.

Are there any exceptions to the linear relationship between voltage and position?

Yes, there are some cases where the relationship between voltage and position may not be linear. This can occur when there are non-ohmic materials or when the voltage is too high, causing non-linear effects such as resistance changing with temperature.

What are the practical applications of understanding the linear relationship between voltage and position?

Understanding the linear relationship between voltage and position is crucial in fields such as electrical engineering and physics. It allows us to accurately calculate and predict voltage in different circuits and systems, making it easier to design and troubleshoot electrical systems.