Tangential and centripetal acceleration

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the tangential and centripetal acceleration of a particle at a specific instant, given its position, velocity magnitude, and acceleration vector. The tangential acceleration can be found by multiplying the acceleration magnitude by the tangent unit vector, while the centripetal acceleration can be found using the given numbers. The conversation also mentioned using the dot product to find the components of the acceleration vector.
RaamGeneral
Hello.

Sorry for this very silly question, but I struggled myself too long on this (it was on the test and fortunataly I could answer correctly, but have not understood how to solve that).

I know a particle, in a certain instant, has position ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)##
I know the velocity magnitude ##\vec{v} = v_p \hat{\tau}##

where tau is the tangent unit vector.
And I know also the acceleration vector:
##\vec{a}=a_0\hat{x}+a_0\hat{y}##I have to find the tangential and centripetal acceleration of the particle at that instant.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tangential acc is a times tau.
you can then figure out centripetal acceleration.

Ok, I think I should insert the numbers here, because I have to figure out the numerical value and I do know nothing about tau.
position ##(x_0 = \sqrt 3 m , y_0=1 m , z_0 =2.12 m)##
##v_p = 4.78 m/s##
##a_0 = 6.01 m/s^2##

I have only this, nothing less, nothing more.

Please, it's my last unfinished business.
This is the original text. It's in italian, but mathematics is a universal language.
Capture.PNG

ep = cos30 ex + sin30 ey
then take the dot product of ep and a
i.e.
(cos30 ex + sin30 ey)⋅(6.01 ex + 6.01 ey)

Likes RaamGeneral

Related to Tangential and centripetal acceleration

1. What is the difference between tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent to the circular path, while centripetal acceleration is the acceleration pointing towards the center of the circle.

2. How are tangential and centripetal acceleration related?

Centripetal acceleration is a component of tangential acceleration, as it contributes to the overall change in velocity of an object moving in a circle.

3. What is the formula for calculating tangential and centripetal acceleration?

The formula for tangential acceleration is at = rα, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circle, and α is the angular acceleration. The formula for centripetal acceleration is ac = v²/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How does tangential and centripetal acceleration affect an object moving in a circle?

Tangential acceleration determines the change in the speed of an object moving in a circle, while centripetal acceleration determines the change in the direction of the object. Together, they ensure that the object moves in a circular path with a constant speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of tangential and centripetal acceleration include a car moving around a curved road, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a spinning top. They all exhibit both tangential and centripetal acceleration as they move in a circular path.