Tangential Acceleration of Object moving in cylindrical wall

In summary: So the sliding friction is providing a tangential acceleration (aT = dv/dt) in the direction opposite to the tangential velocity.
RATKING

Homework Statement

An object slides along the ground at speed v at the base of a circular wall of radius r. The object is in contact with both the wall and the ground, and friction acts at both contacts. The wall is vertical and provides no force in the vertical direction. (i) Show that the tangential acceleration of the object is given by dv/dt = −µGg− µWv2/r , where µG and µW are the coefficients of kinetic friction between the object and the ground and wall respectively, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Homework Equations

Centripetal Force=(mv2)/r
Frictional Force when moving = coefficient of kinetic friction * Normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

Frictional Force Due to Wall =FW= µW * NW
Normal due to wall is in same direction to centripetal force, these must be equal as the ball doesn't move in this plane and there are no other forces acting here.
Therefore Fc=NW
We know:
Fc=mv2/r
Therefore: mv2/r=NW
Substituting back into equation for Frictional force due to wall:
FWW *mv2/r

The frictional force is in the direction tangent to circle.
My problem is that I do not see any other force to be acting tangential, so do not see where a second term comes from.

I say:

Tangential Force =- Frictional Force due to Wall=- µW *mv2/r (as it acts in opposite direction to velocity)

Therefore dv/dt=Tangential Acceleration =- µW *v2/r (Dividing through by m)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello RATKING. Welcome to PF!

Your analysis of the friction from the wall looks good.

What is the direction of the force of friction from the ground?

Hi TSny!

I have consulted with some friends and I think I see the problem. I have assumed that the friction due to the ground must always be radially directed due to the simple uniform case of circular motion. However, here the centripetal force keeping the body in circular motion is provided by the normal force from the wall on the body. I also know think all friction opposes motion and so as there is no motion in radial direction and no other direction except tangentially, all the frictional force acts tangential. Therefore the frictional force due to ground also contributes to tangential force causing the extra term in the solution. do you think this is the correct reasoning?

Yes. Good. The motion is in the tangential direction, and the sliding friction (from the wall and the ground) acts opposite to the direction of motion in this problem.

Related to Tangential Acceleration of Object moving in cylindrical wall

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It measures how quickly the object's speed is changing in a specific direction tangent to its circular path.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of an object's overall acceleration in circular motion. Tangential acceleration measures the change in speed, while centripetal acceleration measures the change in direction towards the center of the circle.

3. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = rα, where at is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. What factors affect the tangential acceleration of an object moving in a cylindrical wall?

The tangential acceleration of an object moving in a cylindrical wall is affected by the object's mass, the radius of the cylindrical wall, and the object's angular velocity and acceleration.

5. How does tangential acceleration relate to the motion of objects in a roller coaster?

In a roller coaster, tangential acceleration plays a crucial role in the acceleration and deceleration of the cars. As the cars move along the curved tracks, they experience both tangential and centripetal acceleration, which contribute to the exciting and often thrilling ride experience.