Microsoft Excel Factorials Question

In summary, the conversation was about using Factorials in an equation with Microsoft Excel. The person was wondering how to properly use Factorials in their equation, which was resulting in an error. Another person suggested using the "FACT" function in Excel's help to calculate the factorial and provided an example of how the equation should look.
Poweranimals
I wasn't really sure what forum this belonged in, but I'm doing an equation with Microsoft Excel, using Factorials. Basically, I'm wondering how you go about using them in an equation. Here's my current equation:

=A5!/(A5-B5)!B5!

Now obviously that comes back as an error. Does anyone have any ideas as how to add this equation?:

Computer science news on Phys.org
It took me less than thirty seconds to use Excel's help and find the "FACT" function, used to calculate a factorial.

Your equation should look like

=FACT(A5) * FACT(B5) / FACT(A5-B5)

(Assuming you intended to multiply by the factorial of B5 on the end -- I can't tell, because you used your parentheses sloppily.)

- Warren

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your question about using factorials in Microsoft Excel. Factorials can be a bit tricky to work with, but I'm happy to help you find a solution.

Firstly, factorials in Excel are represented by the "!" symbol, just as you have used in your equation. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using factorials in Excel.

1. Factorials can only be used with whole numbers, so make sure your cell references (A5 and B5) contain whole numbers.

2. The factorial of 0 is defined as 1, so if any of your cell references contain 0, you may need to make adjustments to your equation.

3. The factorial function in Excel does not work with negative numbers, so make sure all your cell references are positive numbers.

Now, looking at your equation, it seems like you are trying to calculate a combination or permutation. In order to do this correctly, you will need to use the COMBIN or PERMUT function in Excel.

For a combination, where order does not matter, the formula would be:

=COMBIN(A5,B5)

For a permutation, where order does matter, the formula would be:

=PERMUT(A5,B5)

I hope this helps you solve your equation and understand how to use factorials in Excel. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck!

1. What is a factorial in Microsoft Excel?

A factorial in Microsoft Excel is a mathematical function that calculates the product of a given number and all the numbers below it, up to 1. It is denoted by the exclamation mark (!) symbol after the number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do I use the factorial function in Microsoft Excel?

To use the factorial function in Microsoft Excel, type the number for which you want to calculate the factorial in a cell, followed by the exclamation mark (!) symbol. Alternatively, you can use the "FACT" function in the formula bar and enter the number as the argument.

3. What is the largest factorial that can be calculated in Microsoft Excel?

The largest factorial that can be calculated in Microsoft Excel is 20! = 2,432,902,008,176,640,000. Attempting to calculate a factorial larger than this will result in an error.

4. Can I use negative numbers in the factorial function in Microsoft Excel?

No, the factorial function in Microsoft Excel only accepts non-negative integers as arguments. Attempting to use a negative number will result in an error.

5. How can I use the factorial function in combination with other functions in Microsoft Excel?

The factorial function can be used in combination with other functions in Microsoft Excel by entering it as an argument in the desired function. For example, you can use the factorial function to calculate permutations or combinations by using it in the "PERMUT" or "COMBIN" functions respectively.